1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amt S26i

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassfacer22, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Hey guys, I just purchased a Amt S26i Mic with a tubeMP studio V3 preamp..

I haven't installed it yet.. Have any of you used this mic? good/bad comments??

I was thinking about DPA or Amt.. i went with the AMT only cause I thought it may sound better since I can position it a little more than the DPA mic..

Thoughts about the AMT s26i? or maybe I will have to post up sound samples..

If you guys all suggest I should have bought the DPA mic for Bass.. then I'll return this right away.. as I haven't opened it yet..

thanks.

2. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I think you'll get a variety of pro and con responses. Everyone who has tried either mic has their own feelings about it, and some are big fans - others, not so much. And the dpa, being a newer mic, has a pretty significant cheering section right now.

Both mics are top-shelf, pro-level gear. They have their idiosyncrasies, being high-gain condenser mics. But I'd suggest that most players could get a great sound with EITHER mic. But the extended reach of the AMT might help certain players in certain situations.

Your best bet is to just give it a go and trust your own ears with your own bass, not worry about what a bunch of people on the internet think is best. Don't second-guess your instincts. People here are knowledgeable and opinionated, but I'll point out that exactly none of them have played your bass with your fingers.

Just be careful with the mic - I'm sure that whomever sold it to you will give you a reasonable option to return it, if, after a few days you decide that it is unsuitable (especially if that retailer is us, which I suspect it is.)

3. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    nice post, mark!

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    +1
    I don't think that DPA completely thought through the length of the gooseneck system, before they released the original 4099B mount. In their attempt to develop a "one size fits all" gooseneck, for all the different instruments, they short changed the design, with respect to our particular needs.
    In all fairness they addressed that problem, with the DVote, but continuing the with their policy of optional"accessories" that have to be purchased separately. An as often happens, they couldn't retrofit or modify the older 4099's, so they would accept the new gooseneck extension or detachable cord.
    So you either have to live with the smaller gooseneck, or sell your old DPA 4099B and buy the DVote. If you've looked in the classifieds recently the older 4099B's aren't exactly jumping of the shelves.

By comparison, AMT got it right the first time at the behest of John Pattitucci, and built the mount so it could be modified, at their shop. I have both microphones, and the DPA is the one I use, because it sounds so good, but as Mark says either of these two microphones are remarkable.

Ric

5. Thanks for the reply Mark.
    I just wanted to see if anybody had some experiences with the AmT mic over the Dpa one on TalkBass here.. Upon searching all I find is some people talking about the "Troll and DPA" mics.. (for example Ric Vice above says he uses the Dpa.. is the frequency response better or something?) ??

But in anycase you are absolutely correct, I do have to trust my instincts and use the mic to the best of my ability.. Looking forward to using it..

well said Mark. time to see what this thing sounds like on some old plywood basses with stark strings.. and a 4x10cab.

6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Bass Face,
    I've used them both, the difference between the two is striking but subtile. The DPA 4099B has a clearer voice, through all the registers of the instrument, so the low bass notes don't bloom, like they do with the AMT SP25B and the mid's and highs coming of the DPA 4099 are better defined. It also had superior feedback resistance since it's a miniature shotgun design.
    This comparison is based on running both microphones FOH and into a QSC K8 Powered Speaker. There is nothing wrong with the AMT and it's one advantage is that it can be rebuilt and repaired. The older DPA 4099B's don't have that advantage, but the newer DPA 4099 D Vote's cable and gooseneck extension can be detached. Just my opinion.

Ric

7. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    that said patitucci stopped using the amt in favor of the dpa, although i think's stopped using that now too, but im not 100% sure. i think he's using more high end stuff now when he needs a mic, or just going 100% pickup, but again, dont quote me.
    ive recently had good luck using lower output dynamic mic in conjunction with the pickup. very good for feedback resistance since they're not really all that hot and only pick up stuff close to them. i guess thats the theory behind the toll mic as well