Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An Amazing Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by PunkerTrav, Oct 31, 2004.

1. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Well, the new band I have been playing with played friday night and again saturday. We were all super nervous because this was our first public appearance together. Not only that, but our lead guitarist works at one of the guitar shops in town and had been really pushing us at work and with people stopping by the store. Needless to say, there were certain expectations of us.

The friday gig was with a local surf rock band who are getting quite popular in the area. They are a really tight group, so we didn't want to be totally outclassed by them. Our first few songs were the tightest we've ever played them and then the set just kept rolling. I was so relieved after that we played as great as we did.

After the show, the guitarist and bass player of the other band came up to me and gave some great feedback of my playing and the band's vibe as a whole. I was floored, as these are guys I really look up to, and have for a while.

The saturday show was more laid back, being a house party and all. We played a few songs that we just weren't comfortable with playing the night before. Again, we started off strong and just kept going. The people were really dancing and loving it. We were getting so confident with our sound, that we decided to improvise "Roxanne" having never played it before. It was rough, but people loved it.

As we were packing our stuff up, a fellow bassist and I started talking and he too had some great things to say about us. We got talking and it turns out he is a Grant MacEwan grad. I have the utmost in respect for those kids in that program, so I was thrilled he enjoyed our set.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I am just on cloud nine. We already have 2 more gigs set up for November. :D

That's my experience, but feel free to share your own "amazing gig" stories.

Travis

2. Hey man, I am in edmonton/spruce grove and go to grant macewan. I would love to come out and see your bands next gig, always great to meet a fellow talkbassist.

3. LittleJaco

LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    mazel tov man, that is awesome (brought tears to my eyes, just kidding)

At my school there is a concert every year at the highschool, solely a jazz concert. When I just started bass, I saw the show and it was a HUGE inspiration to my playing. I practiced like a maniac and got in the middleschool jazz band last year in 8th grade. We played at the show and the godfather of randolph music, Mr.Tobias, stated that our jazz band was the best middle school jazz band he'd heard in his life. Our teacher was a former randolph student and he was nervous, but he pulled it off with flying colors. It was like a dream come true. Now if i just get in this year...