1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

An Introduction

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by caeman, Sep 18, 2008.

1. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Hey-o.

I have been playing drums since I was 10. I decided it was time to expand my horizons and picked up a 5-string Johnson bass about a month ago. I am practicing for about 15 minutes each night, working on my fingering, practice a scale or two, and trying to learn some basic songs. Since my music focus is gospel, Amazing Grace was my first song. I am working on Hava Nagila next.

This whole notes thing (A, B, C, etc) is new to me, so I don't quite have the ear to try and free play with songs on the radio, yet.

This seemed like a pretty good forum, big and active, to use as a base of additional learning.

2. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    A friend found out that I was learning bass and wants to teach how to player her upright bass. It is a 1923 acoustic. The thing is huge!

3. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ahh, another rhythm section man, nice. I played the drums for several years before picking up the bass as well. Welcome to TalkBass, and the low end! Stick around and you'll surely learn new things.

4. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Go rhythm section!

5. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    Nothing like starting with the real deal! You'll be doing Jamerson in no time ;)

6. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    She showed me where the 3rd fret would be, so from there I started thumping out Amazing Grace. That whole fretless thing was a little strange, given my n00bness to guitars. In all, it was not an unpleasant experience. The exterior of the upright showed that it had been played its whole life.

7. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    First of all, welcome. Second, you are right about this being a great forum. It is the best music-related forum I've come across. I can't even begin to relate all the things I've learned from the time I've spent here. I spend most of my time playing lead guitar these days, and tried to find a guitarist's forum that is good as this is for bass. It's not out there. I still poke around here because its the best forum out there and I think I'm still a bassist at heart.

Your knowledge of rhythm, coming from drums, will definitely help you as a bassist. Have fun learning to maintain the low end!!