Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Analog delay for bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PureRockRoll, Apr 24, 2005.

1. PureRockRoll

PureRockRoll

Apr 24, 2005
    Does anyone have any suggestion for an analog delay for bass? i tried the memory man deluxe and it couldn't handle the bass too well, plus i wanted something a little simplier than a memory man. I was thinking of the Ibanez AD9 reissue because you can get one of those cheaper than a boss DM-2 or DM-3. any input would be appreciated, especially for th AD9.
    Thanks!

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What make a tape echo worth $900

4. Supply and demand would be my guess after reading the article. That's a lot more than I have or would spend on any effect but I would love to play with one.

5. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Yeah, my thougths exactly, it better be able to record and entire hour of echoes if im paying that much for it.

Me playing through teh analog delay: :bassist:
    Number of bassists it sounds like: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've tried out a number of analog and digital delays and, for my purposes, I actually found that an OLD(!) DOD Analog delay pedal (from the early-to-mid 80s) suits my needs. They can be had on the cheap when you can find one. Try sniffing one out on ebay.

You may be looking for something more than this, but it is a quality Analog Delay. For reference, it's light blue and simply says "Delay" on it.

I'm not a DOD fan by any stretch, but it is definitely one of the better pedals I've used by them. And did I mention it can be had on the cheap? ;)

gregmon79 likes this.
  7. Yeah. Cheap is good if it doesn't sound cheap. There are some gems out there if you look hard enough.... :ninja:

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It would only go from slapback to one second delay.

9. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I would go for the AD-9 I am buying one myself... 139.99 is a STEAL!!!

Alex

10. ...the Line 6 DL-4 models a few analog delays(pretty nicely to my bad ears)& has a neat little looper. At just over $200, it's a good deal if you can make use of all its features. I like DOD stuff, too- the older the better. I had a Pearl analog delay years ago. Sweet sound, lots of range & worked well for bass. They're no longer a secret, though, & get kinda pricey for old stuff.

11. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i got the line 6 echo park, it has all the feature of the dl4 except the loop section thing

its awesome, straight up

then i pair it with a rc-20 xl 16 minute loop station made by boss

gregmon79 likes this.
  12. MODNY, have you compared the DL-4 w/the Loop Station for idiot-friendliness? This is an important point w/me. ;)

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I watched the guy play Layla with it, and it just sounds... weak. 900 dollars worth of weak.

14. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    We got one of those $900 (Roland Space Echo i think) tape delays for free from a church, We playd with it once and that was about it. Needed some serious cleaning but it works fine

15. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

yes i have

i ought 2 seperate things because i am an idiot, and the more butons and things there are to remember, well that doens't work with me

plus i like have bog loop times for practicing methods etc

16. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Tone, Tone, TONE!!! Its all about analog tape and TUBES... Early analog BB chip delays where made to offer a more reliable echo unit, but with modern technology and vintage ingenuity new tape echo's kick ass... I dislike Mike Fuller a LOT, but his TTE kicks ass... Low noise servo motor, tube bypass, all class a... This thing makes you sound better when its off for Christ sake, and you can get KILLER overdrive out of it.

If you haven't played through a tape echo - you really have no place saying anything about it. There is a reason every delay modeler pedal on the face of the planet makes reference to the Rolland Space Echo, Maestro Echoplex, Binson Echorec...

If they are good enough for Pink Floyd, Mars Volta, Robert Fripp, Eric's Trip, and the plethora of other innovative band that use them - they are good enough for me.

end rant...

Alex

17. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm also looking for a good delay. Played with the echo park this weekend. I was pretty impressed, you can get huge variety of crazy delay sounds out of it. Is there a huge difference betwn the echo park and the DL4? More sounds, programmable?

Also saw an Ibanez AD9 for $100, but I didn't get a chance to try it. Due to my girlfriend getting bored...can't imagine why.:confused:

Anyone own/owned one?

18. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    The AD-9 is godly... its a great analog dealy, and 100 is a REALLY good price for it...

Alex

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Although they are in the "If you have to ask..." price bracket, the Maxon Reissues are supposed to kill.

Haven't had the pleasure yet.

20. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    hmm...might be worth picking up the ibanez. I've never tried any maxons either but have been curious.