1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

... and the Berlin wall came tumbling down

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PlanetEarth, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berlin Wall Between Academics and Art

Thread opened:
    04-29-2010, 04:59 PM

Thread closed by moderator:
    04-30-2010, 11:15 PM

Man, hardly over a day (~30 hours) - exponentially faster than I anticipated.... Way to go....

Left for a gig last night, come back this morning and the mods had to close the thread out... Classic!!

I guess too many bassists sitting home on a Fri. night with no gigs...

:( :mad: :help: :crying: :eek: :rolleyes: :rollno:

:bag:

-PE

2. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    Gotta be a record! One dude has a hissy-fit and the thread gets closed.

It's odd that his thread was cleaned and left standing, so he comes to Jeff's thread...calls Jeff a bigot, has a complete fit,( everyone else was being decent) and Jeff's thread was the one closed. I hope after review they see what the problem was(or WHO the problem was) and open it back up.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'm thinking this one is going to get closed too. Though it does'nt actually question the mods, it's dangerously close in nature to openly questioning the mod's.

4. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    Too bad. I liked his first off-topic thread.

5. On the contrary, so to clarify - With the mods 100%, would of done the same..... It's the nature of some of the posts that's remarkable and the irony that it was really never a question of "if" but rather "when" the fishing would begin... Sad to say, it of been more surprising had the opposite occurred.

-PE

6. This thread does not question the mods decisions. We all can see why that thread was closed. It was way too hostile. Hopefully, the mods can just ban the one troll and re-open the thread, but if not, that's ok too.

7. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    It's too bad Jeff's such a polarizing figure. I find his contributions to TB very helpful, but trouble seems to follow him everywhere....

8. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Man that's sad, that afromoose guy was entertaining.

9. Jeff just tells the truth, and the truth can hurt. Take what you can use and leave the rest behind. Your ego is not your amigo. I'm off to practice.

10. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    The truth can also set you free.

11. southpaw76

southpaw76

Feb 20, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Just goes to show you how thin skinned people have become. It seems as though a lot of people have no clue how to take any form of criticism. Sad really.

sp

12. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I think its more that people can't take Jeff's advice with a grain of salt. Some people won't agree with him, that's inevitable. How they respond has been appalling in some circumstances (Afromoose).

I have respect for those who disagree, but don't troll, for example JimmyM and Fergie Fulton.

13. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Yet if you ask his advice (Jeff's) he will happily give you kudos where you are right, advice (not disdain!) where you are wrong, regarding teaching and playing.

14. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Jeff thread will i believe open up again when the mods gets a chance to clean it up. Afromoose put up a thread about an Ed Freidland book he uses and teaches from and was praising the book. He was then questioned about how he can teach and what he teaches, by a few people Jeff was one, and again far comment, but that thread disintegrated fast, got closed and cleaned up, with the request from Mark to keep on subject, thats fair.
    So i believe Afromoose came to Jeffs to make his points and again was flamed. Now what he teaches and what he does not is his business i say and that of his students and no one likes to be told there wrong when those that are doing the judgement know nothing of the situation he teaches in or why he teaches the way he does.
    This thing about "home truths" is very well from behind a computer, but i bet there are not many here that will tell some home truths face to face. So things are better left un-said because the consequences will hurt both the person being told and the person doing the telling, normally the person doing the telling will come off worse in a physical way.

I can see the points on both sides and i can understand Afromooses reaction, whether i agree with it or not is another matter, i just cannot understand the reason behind those that put him there, after all, all he does is pass on good musical information.:)

15. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    Afromoose most certainly was not flamed in Jeff's thread. He was the one who got out of line.

16. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Well depended on what side of that debate your on, he certainly does take a lot of flak for his trouble, in recommending a good book and how qualified he is to use it.:)

I always say it is for me to say if i am insulted, slighted, or offended, not others. If i am told i have done that by others i apologise, because on open forum things get taken the wrong way.:)

But again i would question the reasons why he was put under such pressure for teaching music. Nobody backed off from him or tried to take the pressure off, actually quite the opposite. No one talked him through his situation to understand it, just derision put on to him, for what...teaching others?? :)

17. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    I prefer to be set free by the insight THE truth simply doesn't exist.

No truth, no hostility, it's as simple as that. Let's be tolerant and respectful and support the moderators in doing what they're supposed to.

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    +1

"Oh no, you said my bass is ugly and that hurt my precious feelings" :rollno:

:spit: = how I feel about that crap and I think people need to wear thicker skin if petty ass bull crap like that hurts your feelings.

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    No.

We don't have to be tolerant or supportive to anything we disagree with. Too much tolerance leads to complacency, which in turn leads to those with power to abuse it. We do though have to be respectful, respectful in the way we show our intolerance and lack of support.

20. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I am personally getting sick of this stuff as well. Fine, be a wuss, but don't close the thread, at least allow me to gain some humor value out of my paid support.

Right on Cassanova. Can the tolerable tolerate intolerance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.