1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

... and the Berlin wall came tumbling down

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PlanetEarth, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    when i play fretless i try to play like bill wyman.

2. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Amps and Sandberg Basses.
    I don't understand how all other instruments get taught with serious discipline but with guitar and electric bass it seems acceptable to compromise the quality of education and allow some people who clearly know nothing to charge money for lessons when they have no real background or knowledge of the deeper fundamentals of music in general. Maybe it's the shorter heritage of the instruments or just that they're easier to get away with being a hack on in today's music scene.

3. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    Bill plays fretless? Wow, I thought the out of tune bass on "start me up" was because because he took Jeff's advice and stopped using a tuner :D

4. General consensus is that Wyman was the first to pull the frets from a bass in 1961 or so.

5. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    Haha, my above post wasn't serious but I must admit that I never knew about that bit of bass history.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    The first *known* player at least, some guys on here claim to have done it earlier.

7. ^ Right.

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Excuse me. The bass player is always perfectly in tune.

It's the rest of the band that is always uniformly out of tune.:bag:
    (So it is said, let it be written) :D

FWIW, I thought I read somewhere it wasn't even Bill on that track.
    If it was Keith or Woody, it might actually be the bass.:smug:

9. that's the wisest thing i've read all day.....watering everything down everything to a disney level does not
    foster adult discourse...imho

10. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I agree. I do like to see people treat each other with a bit o' respect, though.

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

The problem with this line of action is at least twofold. First, he won't be ignored because he has a habit of lobbing little grenades at those who've had run-ins with him before. He was warned on *several* occasions to stop this (as were those who lobbed them back - at least one of whom got the idea). Secondly, others will see his posting style and think it's ok to post in the same manner. This is why the rules are applied to everyone, despite those who will say otherwise.

Also, the course of this discussion has now run counter to the rules, since it's now a big questioning of moderator actions. Rather than clean up all the posts that do that, I'm just going to close this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.