1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

... and the Berlin wall came tumbling down

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PlanetEarth, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok,you win......so,yawn, what's better,a jazz or a precision

2. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    :rolleyes:

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Well, that's way more definitive and not at all less speculative than what I posted. :eyebrow:

And if you're correct (probably not), chock it up to "you snooze, you lose".

Haven't you heard all the campaigns over the years?
    "Make your voice heard".

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    +1

5. kdel

kdel

Feb 24, 2010
    San Diego
    I am imagining that being a TB moderator is not a lucrative career. If I were them and someone, even a virtuoso, was creating a lot of headaches for them, why bother? It isn't worth it. Let him do it on his own site.

6. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    :D

7. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Some of them look for those "headaches".

8. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    It wasn't meant to be less speculative. It was meant to be exactly as speculative - that's precisely the logical force of a counterexample.

And indeed, it may be their loss - but somehow I think they'll live.

9. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I certainly hope so,
    but will they be the better for it?
    Impossible. I have the physical evidence here in this (and the other closed) thread to support my view point.
    Your statement is pure speculation. ;)

10. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Amps and Sandberg Basses.
    I might be off the mark here but I think it may have more to do with questioning the mods on an open forum instead of taking it up privately(which is a direct rule breaker) after receiving some firm but diplomatic warnings from Pacman. I missed what finally led to the initial ban and it came as quite a suprise but that's just my guess.

You actually know Jeff(correct me if I'm wrong) so you're probably more qualified to offer an opinion on his character, ego or whatever other assumptions people make about him. As for me, maybe I just get that he's passionate and believes in what he's talking about when dealing with the subject matter. I also can't be offended by someone who let Roddy Piper run amock in his instructional video :D

This is all text based so it's hard to demonstrate some points and people can't seem to look deeper into the generalizations he makes or see the point when he's actually dealing with the subject matter, which is when people take things personally. As I stated in an earlier post, I have the utmost respect for Jeff and have benefitted greatly just from his online advice(I also have an appreciation for his sense of humour and consider him to be a genuine, sincere person who's out to help people improve) but I guess that he should probably read the rules and exercise caution when venting.

11. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    :D

Honestly, I'm probably just getting a bit too old to put up with people talking trash to me. And I've honestly never read anything by Jeff that I found that incredibly original or informative, or that I couldn't have learned from other people or sources. Maybe I just missed some choice posts, but I'm not too interested in wading though the garbage to find it. Maybe those younger and/or more patient than I are willing.

And maybe that's the answer - let him back in, and those of us who tire of him can feel free to ignore him. I'm planning on spending most of my time in the DB forums these days anyway, and I know I won't see him there ... ;)

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the perfect solution.

13. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Ya, I suspect we could all live with that - though I sure feel like the mods deserve a bit of an apology ...

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ya, like the db guys are any more mature.

15. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Oh, I definitely wasn't implying THAT ... :D

16. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Oh, you must mean those guys that keep refering to the bass guitar as a "slab".

17. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Amps and Sandberg Basses.
    I suspect that DB players are less prone to the poor quality training, gimmicks and hack teachers that Jeff speaks out against, so I get why you say this. Most electric players are self-taught(more so than DB players, I'm assuming) and are initially impressionable to whatever the media feeds them, so to me, they might not necessarily be original thoughts in the bigger musical picture but many are concepts that were new to a lot of guys who have been dealing with popular and watered down methods.

18. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    They're just jealous that we can move around while we play. :p

19. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    That could be. And I will say, that is one of the things that I admire about Jeff - that he treats the bass guitar like a real instrument that deserves a serious academic curriculum.

20. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Sheesh, I get too busy to check the boards for one day and I miss all the drama.:rollno:

1) I admire his abilities musically.
    2) For me, that musical instruction thread of his pulled together many, many disparate ideas that I had read/studied/heard about over the years in a way that made sense. I thank him for that. No one had ever done that before.
    3) This isn't his sandbox, he needs to play by the rules or go elsewhere.
    4) There are many things I disagreed with him on; for example just because you play a fretless, you're trying to sound like Jaco.
    5) I'll actually miss him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.