Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Angling a Pup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by smo, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Hi Everyone,

I was having a look at the Ritter homepage - and noticed that all the pup's he mounts are at an angle of either 3 or 9 degrees.
    He reckons this helps the tone - but i have a question - could this angling simply be for something more functional? Like keeping the strings over the magnets, for example, when performing crazy bends and the like?
    Of you experienced with a bass like this, what have you found?

smo

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the further up the neck the same pup is moved the darker, less clear, and louder a pup becomes. As long as the perimeter strings are within the magnetic field the pups will read the signal. Angle it, move it at right angles to the strings, same things still apply.

It takes me at least a j pup width to tell any difference in movement. You have to throw quite a bit of an angle to a pup to alter tone that would make a distinguishable difference - and it could as easily be less desireable as more.

Most often appears to be done for appearance with no practical application. Looks different must be different. Everybody wants something different.

I can stick pups wherever I want and have stuck them in at angles just from being sloppy as well as intentionally becuase I didn't want to bother loosening up the strings to move the Schaller rollers. If there is anything to be gained from angling them, I haven't experienced it.

3. OK - i get it, so the ritter would have a louder G string in comparison to the E at the neck pickup. But with all the onboard EQ section - like you said there, luknfur, it sounds like it's for looks.......;)
    Are there Ritter players out there that have some input on this?