Annoying Click On Warwick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Apr 30, 2005.

1. I keep getting this slightly annoying 'click' when I play. It sounds like the strings are hitting the frets when I pluck. I raised the action a bit, and have made sure there's a nice bit of relief in the neck, but it still makes this click. I can cancel most of it out by cutting back the presence and treble on my sansamp, but I do lose a bit of high end definition. If it's any help, I never had any 'click' on the spector, and it has a much lower action than the warwick. Is it just a warwick thing? :help:
  2. Has this "click" suddenly arrived, or is it a long term problem?

If it is a "new" problem, what have you changed recently?

Can you lose it by disengaging the SansAmp?
  3. It's been there a while. I had it set up a while ago because the neck was absolutely straight(no relief), and the strings weren't ringing properly. I've since adjustd it myself(put some new string on), and it plays great, has an awesome tone, it's just sometimes I get a click. I'll try it without the sansamp, but this generally turns my tone into turd.
  4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    With a clearer tone, you might be hearing something in you technique that you hadn't heard before
  5. Hmmmm. I put the blend back a bit, and I got more of that warwicky sound of wood. However, I'm losing some of my punchy tone.
  6. +1.

As the "punch" increases, so does the chance that you will also hear more of any imperfections in your right and/or left hand technique.

As you reduce the "punch" (via your Blend control or otherwise), your sound will become more "muddy" and/or "forgiving" and is likely to shield/mask any technique deficiency.

The good old "smiley face" EQ setting is, I think, adopted by so many people for exactly that reason - you can get away with murder because it puts you so far back in the band mix that your playing, and particularly your fretting, becomes "indistinct".

The clearer/punchier the tone you adopt, the less forgiving it will be and the more accurately you will need to play.

All IMHO needless to say. ;)
  7. Ahhh. So it could be the incredible amount of mids my warwick kicks out that means I get more clicks than with my spector?
  8. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I think you're just digging in too much when you play. Maybe try to lighten up your plucking hand. I get this clicking noise as well, but I actually like the sound of it, so I've never seen it as a problem.

9. Hey - I get this a little bit on th ed string on my Corvette Standard. It is not buzz from inaccurate fretting, just a little vibration/click from behind the fret - I think it is because the brass frets sound brighter and resonate more than the frets on other basses - at least I think that must be it

You can onyl hear it acoustically - it does not get amplified by the pickups and does not get to the amp

Hope this helps a bit
  10. O it does get amplified. I sounded like ab assier version of fieldy at first. I think I've sorted it by rolling hter presence way back. The thing is, I lose that warwick 'growl', the woody tone. Now, the sansamp sounds really fat and punchy, but I can't get a good blend of warwick tone and sansamp. It's one or the other. Any ideas would be great.
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    When your strings hit the frets, it either creates buzz, or a note. Strings usually don't hit the frets for other reasons. I think the click is the string possibly hitting the pickup, or maybe just your technique,
  12. there is definietly something not right then.

there is a slight click from the brass fret behind the fretted note, but this is not what you are describing it would seem

might be technique - i know when I dig in hard on the strings they can click on the pickup, but that is how one plays, not a fault of the instrument
  13. Nah this is a set up thing. My technique is fine, it never does this on any other bass. I don't dig in overly hard, but I'm not one of these 'ooo let's play lightly' types........I just doesn't feel good, if you get me.
  14. +3 on the strings hitting the p/ups theory. Have you tried lowering the p/ups to see if it goes away?
  15. The pickups are verrrrrrrrrrry low.
  16. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I'd like to chime in on the factor of the wenge board. I recently purchased an MTD 535 with the classic tulip wood/wenge neck combo, and I've been able to notice the most minute details of my playing through this bass, good and bad. When I dig into the bass, I get the same click that you're describing. However, this same quality makes for a deep and agressive slap tone. Its a trade off really. I just try to lighten up my right hand touch and use the left hand more to control note length.
  17. My board is Ebony. Isn't that softer than wenge?
  18. Ok I think it was the sansamp causing it. I put the blend at 2 oclock and it's sounding a lot better.
  19. You're welcome - don't mention it. ;)

Have you actually tried using your SansAmp with the Blend at 12 o'clock OR LESS? Much more "useable" sound IMHO :)