Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Annoying Vibrating

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Farthes, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Farthes

Farthes

Jan 15, 2005
    San Diego
    I have been "playing" bass for about 1 1/2 weeks, at first when using it I didn't hear it but now after I have been practicing for awhile I've noticed it more and more and it is really frustrating me cause I cannot get it to stop. Whenever I play the frets with my 3rd (ring) and 4th (pinkie) finger this annoying vibrating follows the sound and it is horrible. What I think it is is the string hitting the fret itself. How do I correct this problem?

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    You have a weak pinkie ;)

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Are you fretting the notes in the style of "The Price Is Right"? :) What I mean is, are you getting your fingertips as close to the fret without going over the fret when you play the notes?

It will take some time for your ring & pinky fingers to develop the strength required to play bass. But, keep practicing and they'll get the hang of it soon enough. The important thing is to recognize it when you hear it (which you have) then consciously work to not let it happen anymore.

Once you've built up your finger strength a bit, the next feat will be to learn just how much pressure you need to cleanly play a note without pushing too hard so you aren't beat from playing after a single song.

4. I like that metaphor.

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Thanks. :D As far as I know it's a WP4F original. :)

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Moved to technique.