1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another 70s shootout! Gibson vs Guild

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dlenaghan, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Guild! Like Gibson but more obscure!

34 vote(s)
    54.0%
  2. Gibson! Classic and hip for those into BRMC..

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Carrots! (Why did I even vote if I don't care?

17 vote(s)
    27.0%
  4. Other! Vox, Fender, Hagstrom.. but I will tell you what and why in the comments.

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
  2. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Guild.

3. The EB-2C is the single pickup, the EB-2D is the double pickup. I like either although I own an EB-2C which sounds really good, big bottom, the Guild Starfire is probably a more modern sounding bass.

4. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Actually, the "C" on your means "Cherry". Nothing to do with the pickups. A double pickup version in the same colour would be EB-2DC. "W" is for "Walnut" on later models etc.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. I voted EB2 simply because BRMC get a great sound. Saw them in Chicago a few years ago and the bass sounded so good. Not really heard a SF in bands live or recorded.

6. OK, you're right, I knew I was not exactly correct but was too lazy to look it up, but what is the single pickup EB-2 known as then, just EB-2 with color letter added?

7. Who's BRMC? Never mind, got it. Need lots of effects to get this sound out of an EB-2.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 2:05 PM
  8. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Exactly. I don't believe there's a letter for sunburst since it was considered to be the standard finish.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  9. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Guild with Bi-Sonic(s). For all around killer tone and versatility.
    Though I've always wanted an EB-2 (or Epi Rivoli) the Starfire would provide a broader tonal pallette.

I have a Hag Coronado IV with 2 Bi-Sonics. Recently took it out for a spin and fell in love with those pickups all over again. The clarity, solid tone and even response remind me of the way my Alembic plays.

Guild.....

JMoto likes this.
  10. I'm still kicking myself for passing on a cherry burst Starcaster for $600. The only one I've seen since is priced at $1000.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021