1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another bridge question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Fathomer1977, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Fathomer1977

Fathomer1977

May 9, 2007
    Upstate NY
    Getting ready to install an adjustable bridge to replace my current, warped bridge. Just got the old bridge off and noticed new bridge is about a 1/4" taller then the old bridge due to material at the foot. Am I going to damage the bridge by removing the material? How much can go? I'm not positive original bass was set up correctly which is why I ask if it can be removed.

2. CPike

CPike

May 28, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    I would recommend you take the new bridge to a luthier to have it properly fitted. You can't simply swap it out for the old one, as there is a lot more to it than just fitting the feet.

Chris

3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Fathomer -- bridges on violin family instruments must be custom-fit to the instrument. The bridge feet especially have to fit exactly right. The reason your new bridge feet are oversize (the whole bridge, practically, is oversize) is to allow for custom fitting. It's not easy to do if you don't already have substantial woodworking chops. Even if you do, the most sensible thing to do is to take it to a pro bass luthier.

4. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    You might check this, my favorite website even before I owned an URB
    http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dhavlena/bassetup.htm

A bit informal, but I like it that way. Gave me the courage/knowledge to setup my bass. I even got some maple and made my own bridge ... now that I cannot recommend! It took 2 attempts and more hours than it was worth. But at least I got my Shortbus Luthiery merit badge...