1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another choosing a comp thread - I've narrowed it to 3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Eric Boyer, Feb 27, 2008.

1. I'm looking to get a compressor (pedal form) and I figure if I'm going to spend $200 plus shipping to get it to Canada I might as well make a really well informed decision.

That being said, I've done a fair bit of searching and reading of reviews and I've narrowed my choices to the following three:

EBS Multicomp
    T-Rex Comp-Nova
    Jacques Fat Burner

I basically see the EBS as the fail safe choice, and although I'm looking to limit volume on peaks, I think I'm looking for a little more coloration in whatever my final choice is.

People who influence me tone-wise:

Paul Turner (more his Nordy tone)
    Stuart Zender
    Flea on BSSM
    Dirk Lance

Basically I'm trying to get a Stingray sound out of my LH-3 equipped 55-02 (I know, I know).

At this point I'm thinking it's a toss up between the Comp-Nova and the Fat Burner, but that being I really liked the sound clips of the Multicomp on EBS' site. Anyone got any clips of the other two?

I do own an Ibanez Compressor II if that can serve as a point of reference in describing the tone of the others.

Any suggestions/thoughts/ideas are appreciated,

-Eric

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    go to bongomanias link and read the three reviews of those.

3. I have - that's what's making me consider the fat burner and the comp nova. Before I read those reviews I was just going to go straight for the multicomp :smug:

-Eric

4. Mind you now that you've said that I went and re-read them anyway :p and now I'm not even sure I should be considering the T-Rex.

I remember reading somewhere that Bongomania described it as having a "magical tone".

So I guess it's either down to the super squash of the fat burner or the play it safe of the multicomp.

-Eric

5. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I am in the exact same situation as you, those are my main influences for tone, and I am looking for a comp too. If it helps, the fat burner does more compressing than the other two at higher settings. Possibly provide videos to show what specific tone you are after.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I know it's not on your list, but I really love my Demeter Compulator.

7. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    +1, The demeter would probably be closest to Dirk's tone because he uses Demeter rackmount compressors.

8. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    I had the Fat Burner but IIRC it cuts treble. I sold it and bought EBS multicomp. Love the tubesim mode and I never turn it off.

9. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I didn't have any treble issues with the Fat Burner, but the squash and coloration are so heavy that I could certainly see somebody hearing it that way.

Re: "magical tone" of the Comp-Nova... it's true, I did say that. I haven't put those words in the "official" review because I discovered that the tone was "more magical" when it's fed a hot input signal (resulting in more/all of the signal being compressed) and "less magical" with a lower input signal (more normal, moderate compression). So when it's being used "correctly" the sound is quite nice but unremarkable. It only hit the "magical" place when I was using excessive compression. :p It's still one of my favorite comps for tone either way though.

I'm not really familiar with the tones you're after, but Aqueous was after some Zender tones, and put up some Youtube links, and I think I suggested the Fat Burner for the fat, heavily-compressed slap funk.

10. The EBS pedal really shines on the "Tube sim" setting. It is a subtle compression, nothing that you would notice (i.e. sounds like an effect) but it does a good job of keeping everything even and really adds to my tone. I love this pedal.

11. Wow guys, thanks for all replies I really appreciate them.

It's not helping me narrow it down to anyone particular one though :p because now I just want one of each :D

Now that bongomania has chimed in on the T-rex I'd say it back in the running, and now that someone has brought up the Compulator, and having read bongomania's review of it, I'd say I'm considering it too now :rolleyes: lol

Here's some specific tones I really like:

Incubus - Redefine (jump to 0:40)

My favourite tones out of the examples I was able to find are the RHCP studio tracks from BSSM and Dynamite by Jamiroquai (love that tone!).

Oh, I've also pulled a Boss LMB-3 that I forgot I had out of mothballs if that could be used as a point of tonal reference when comparing the other comps.

Still considering these four (in no particular order):

Jacques Fat Burner
    EBS Multicomp
    T-Rex Comp-Nova
    Demeter Compulator

Bongomania, when you mention a hot signal for the comp-nova, are you referring to an active bass or just anything that's EQ'd really brightly?

-Eric

12. Have you thought about holding out for the TC Electronics Nova Dynamics comp?

I'm really looking forward to hearing how it is. It's definitely top of my list at the moment.

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I mean high amplitude, a "loud" signal. There are some passive basses that have a very high average amplitude, and some actives with a lower amplitude. EQ doesn't come into it except insofar as it means boosting or cutting amplitude. (Note that it's very common for the lows to have higher amplitude peaks than the highs, which can affect when your signal crosses the compressor threshold.)

14. No, I haven't considered it, only because I haven't heard of it until now :smug:

Is this what you're talking about?
    http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM08/Content/TCElectronic/PR/Nova-Modulator-Dynamics.html

It sure does look/seem impressive, but it looks like it'd be right out of my price range :meh:

I'm trying to keep it bellow $220-ish before shipping.

-Eric

15. Ah, okay, I understand what you're saying now.

Thanks for clearing that up.

-Eric

16. Actually Bongomania, since you're heard all these compressors, any suggestions now based on those samples?

I *think* I'm now going back and forth between the Comp-Nova and the Compulator....but when you mentioned getting a Larry Graham slap sound with the Fat Burner I dunno.....

-Eric

17. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Do you want the old school Zender compressed tone or the newer jamiroqaui tone?

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    After listening to the samples I would rule out the Comp-Nova. It's the wrong voicing, and you need more of a limiter.

As I said in my responses to Aqueous, when he asked for almost exactly the same thing not long ago, there is a reason recording studios worldwide still use original 1176's and LA2A's: there isn't a cheaper or easier way to nail that sound. Acknowledging that no pedal will quite get you there, I'd push for the Demeter if you want to leave it on all the time, or the Fat Burner if you just want to kick it on during certain tunes or solos. I could make some recommendations in the $500-$1500 category if you want to go there.

19. Bit of column A and a bit of column B :p

I think I lean more towards the newer tone.

-Eric

20. Well at least, we've ruled out one :)

Darn, a Demeter just went really fast in classifieds. I can't believe I missed it. Maybe I'll get a Compulator for now and grab a Fat Burner later since it isn't that expensive.

It's not that I don't want to go, it's that I couldn't afford to go.

I appreciate all the input :D

-Eric