1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another dude looking for a bass preamp with headphones

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jimmy Aloha, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Sup! Hello ! I am sure it’s been done to death.....but I am looking for a portable bass preamp (tube would be great!) with headphones. I am mainly playing clean so distortion is something I don’t care about. I am leaning more towards a jazz or fusion Tone. Don’t really have to have any other effects .....cab sim maybe? I know there are a ton of options ...but perhaps some references or recommend products would be helpful. Thank you very much ! Around 500 usd tops for me....

teh-slb and zon6c-f like this.
  2. You say tube would be great, but these tubes always give a degree of distortion. So if you want a clean tone then maybe a tube preamp isn't for you.

Jon Lars likes this.
  3. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    NuX NBP-5. $179

4. Well...I mean more of the full distortion types. I like old Motown and vintage style bass tone. Not cliff burton style anymore .

instrumentalist likes this.
  5. Littlewing6283

Littlewing6283 Gold Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Southern California
    SLO mkiii

right under 500 should tick all your boxes

nux would work too for 179

6. Slo mk3 ? I tried looking for it...what is it?

7. Littlewing6283

Littlewing6283 Gold Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Southern California
    Shift line Olympic

it’s a tube pre/di

Jimmy Aloha likes this.
  8. Wow....that looks amazing! I live in japan....they always tack on another 150 dollars to the price.....sigh....

9. Been researching that model.....looks great! Can’t find on amazon japan....weep weep

10. Jimmy Aloha likes this.
  11. ベース用DI/プリアンプ 通販|サウンドハウス
    I usually order stuff from here since we have nothing in the inaka. Can't recommend anything (I use an old 3 leaf pre amp going into a dedicated headphone tube amp all of which I've ordered from the states), but there is a good selection. You just have to dig through it.

Jimmy Aloha likes this.
  12. Thanks for the link! I usually use Ikebe and Ishibashi. Never saw this one. Nice to see another japan guy on here! Arogatou!

phangtonpower likes this.
  13. Just read the description, it's actually ships from the states. Sucks things are the way they are, but sometimes ordering from abroad direct and paying shipping was still cheaper than buying things here. Now who knows how long things will take if you order from the states.

I feel Sound house is the "Musicians friend" of Japan complete with catalog if you ask.

14. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    You can also get small class D amp with headphones output like Trace Elliot ELF or TC BAM200... You can use it as a backup to your normal amp...

smogg and Jimmy Aloha like this.
  15. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

What about a GK PLEX?

Jimmy Aloha likes this.
  16. That’s a nice one. Have you tried it? How’s the tone?

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have no idea what I'm talking about. But my gut was telling me "There has to be SOMETHING made right there in Japan that would work."
    I mean, Japan has been making electronics for decades.

18. There are some boutique makers I'm sure, but 95% of the stuff is from abroad or big japanese companies like boss. Those boutique makers will charge an arm and a leg. I'll go to a used store and find zvex, proco, etc. Japan hasn't really made any real descent electronics for years. For god's sake they still use fax a lot here!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Pazelaya93 and Jimmy Aloha like this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021