1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another Fallen Guitarist...

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Special K, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Special K

Special K

Apr 7, 2006
    York, England
    Hello TalkBass.

Quick introduction for anyone who cares:
    My name's Iain K and I'm relatively new to the bass. I've played guitar since I was 14 (7 years, jesus) and have dabbled in bass for a while now. Last summer me and some mates decided to get a band together, and I agreed to play bass for a bit until we found someone else. I started to really enjoy it, suits my style of writing far better and the expression is just amazing, compared to guitar.

Earlier this year I finally got around to buying one for myself (I only went in for a string!, I kept breaking my mate's), and have never looked back. I now play for at least a couple hours a day (been ages since I did that with guitar) and am loving it! :D

I'm teaching myself, and don't really have a clue what I'm doing, so I joined to have a place to go to get good advice on technique and building up my set. At the moment I'm just using my guitar amp (which works surprisingly well) and an unidentified £200 Ibanez. I intend to get incredibly good in the next year or so, and then get myself some mint stuff!

So, hello again and big up the low end!

:bassist:

*Edit* Oh, yeah. Anyone know how I get myself an av?

2. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    forget talking about it so much. I suggest you get with a drummer or a drum machine and play bass untill you can't play anymore, go to bed, get up and do it again. continue untill your sick of playing, then read up on some new techniques to try out...repeat and rinse :)

3. Special K

Special K

Apr 7, 2006
    York, England
    Hey, chill. I was just sayin 'hi'. I happen to be in a verbose mood. :)

As it happens, I am just off for a band practice. Got a recording session booked on tuesday (I've got to remember how to work a studio!!). If anything good comes of it, I'll post up some mp3s.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    welcome iain

you're in good company, as a former guitarist who switched. geddy lee started on guitar as well. :hyper:

you get an avatar by becoming a supporting member.

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    There are a lot of us who still play both, although I concentrate more on Bass now, I still play my guitars and wouldn't turn down a gig on either.

I found lessons from a good teacher help you progress faster and help with the change in technique. JMO.

Talk all you want.:)
    Welcome.

PS: I've been playing guitar for 30 yrs. Old habits are hard to break.