Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Flea`s Poll

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mike lead, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Debut-Freakey Styley

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. Uplift Mofo-Mothers Milk

15 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. One Hot Minute-Blood Sugar

30 vote(s)
    54.5%
  4. Californication-By the Way

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. I used to be a BIG, HUGE Flea Fan. When Californication cames aut i was quite dissapointed by the bass lines, and the songs(to many ballads, to slown, no jams) But I also found awesome songs on that record(around The World, RIght on time).But when i first heard By the way.... WHAT HAPPEND TO THEM???!! Am I the only one who prefers "Uplift mofo party plan" than this disgusting "By the way"?????
    HILLEL SLOVAK! COME BACK PLEEEEAAAAASE!!!!:( :(

2. tboyd

tboyd

Sep 10, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Yeah, no kidding. I only have Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar and By the Way. Oh and What hits? So of your choices I voted Mothers Milk with Blood Sugar a close second. Wish I had never bought By the Way. Makes me ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz....

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    oops nvm what i said, i hadnt read the first post correctly

But, yeh i agree, i prefer the older chili peppers style, but they have matured, so i guess their music maturing is a product of that.

I would not describe By the way as 'disguisting'
    id say that One Hot minute, BSSM, mothers milk, TUMPP and freaky styley are the better albums from a bassist POV, howevere, john frusciante's singing has become fantastic recently, the end of 'save the population' is amazing IMO.

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    He obviously can't, he died of an overdose of God knows what more than 13 years ago. :p

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    When I want to hear the Peppers I put in Mothers Milk. Its the cd that inspired me to play bass but their new vibe isnt interesting me that much. I wouldnt discredit the band for doing new and different things though. Actually I think its cool that they are changing. Its certainly better than bands that sound the same from cd to cd.

6. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    I went BSSM.

I like By the Way a lot more than Californication, personally. I don't have their first three albums, haven't been able to get them.

7. Viktor

Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    Split,Croatia
    Ok.......i agree with you on the melowing down part...but you have got to admit that the quality of the "By the way" songs is pretty good!Sure they are not funky as they used to be...but they have some great melodies!I must say when I got By the way I was surprised how they canged,but I'll tell you this....the new songs are much simpler but very melodic...damn it:you listen to the song one time and already you know the molody!And thats great!Exsample:the brand new song Fortune fade is the simples song from them,but you've got to admit it has a RCHP signature to it and it's great,I've herd it 2 times and I'm alredy singing it!Get my point!
    Don't get me wrong I love the old RCHP sutff!I voted for One hot minute on your poll,I have all the RHCP records from Red hot chili peppers to what hits?
    And about Flea...well just listen to the live version of I could die for you or Californication and you will see that he's still the man,he still does his job and pretty damn good!
    Soo yeah there it is!PEACE!!!!

8. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i have all the albums by the peppers, and i think it's cool because you see how they have changed or matured with each album you listen too. i think By The Way is a good record overall, so is Californication..but IMO it doesn't even touch the older stuff like BSSM or Mothers Milk. It's just very different but I like both eras.

As far as Flea's best bass album, I would vote BSSM. There are some really cool lines on OHM though, but i never really liked the way Navarro sounded with the Peppers.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - where are these guys?

[​IMG]

PS - shouldn't this be in "Recordings"?

10. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Very good idea.

11. Well, I really enjoyed by the way and californication, but in terms of bass lines, they are nothing compared to their eariler stuff. Although Around The World remains one of my favourites. I heard that he was getting copied too much so he decided to lay off the hard punk-slap technique. Don't remember where I heard it or how true it is, but thats just what I heard.

12. First of all, I Started this Poll, cuz last week I was Jamming with a friend, and we started to play old chili peppers songs(Stone cold bush, Blackeyed Blonde, Me & MY friends, Higher ground,etc). And I realize that I haven`t hear those albums since a long time. Those songs were really really fun to play. Not because they are dificult, just because, when I hear those records I can hear 4 guys playing, and having Fun. They love waht they were playing. Since Californication those funny guys are making Pop songs. They are changing, that`s true. But they are going to hell. I love beatles, the police, etc. But Chili peppers are not about that.If Primus starts making Pop songs, they`ll be not changing... They would be selling them. Chili peppers used to be "Alternaive music", "funk-Rock", or whatever. But they are not developing their styles, they are selling them to MTV. Hillel Slovak(i know that he`s dead, but, can we rise him from dead?) said in an old interview, that chili peppers would never be a famous band, cause, Populars bands Sucks. Populars bands are playing for the fans, and chili peppers are playing for themselves. Not for the number of records they sold.
    I`m not against changes. Rush have benn playing since the mids 70´and they have change a lot. But they never stop developing a style. They never sell them. Of course, they have more populars eras than others, but they were always walkin on the same line. And i think that the chili peppers realize that Ballads= Sell tons of records. And they forgot about jams, having fun, spontaneous fun,etc. Flea has lost the thing that made him so popular. The soul. :bawl:

But, you know... "It`s just a matter of opinion"...

Thank you, Mike..

PS: I know that this poll should be in the recordings section.. but you know.... mistakes... :D

13. Why do you assume they don't have fun playing the music they play now?
    Also, the idea that a band loses "isn't playing for themselves" because people buy their records makes no sense whatsoever.

14. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    I saw some video of Flea playing these old songs -Blackeyed Blonde, Get up and Jump, some other old ones. He looked pretty young too, like he was 18.

These lines seemed extremely quick and tricky. Are they as hard to play as they look? And can he even play that stuff anymore? I haven't seen him do any really flashy playing in his older age.

15. i dont know, they still seem to be having fun doing what they love. that's what music's about, doing what you love, making music. i personally love by the way. the guitar on it is very good, and i cant think of a song that i dont like on that cd. of course, all opinions though. i dont see how you think flea has lost his "soul". he's still out there recording and playing with as much heart as he did back in BSSM and such (or it seems, atleast...we dont know how he feels...), just the bass lines are more simplistic. all opinions, though.

16. appler

appler Guest

Sure, RHCP's style has kind of mellowed out, but Flea's chops are still there. I saw them live not too long ago and he busted out a solo to kick off the concert that made me think he surgically replaced his hand with a jackhammer. Don't worry, he's still the man. ;)

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Freakey Styley is my favorite album.

I'm not too fond of Anthony's lyrics in general, but in Freakey Styley, it is EXACTLY what the song needs.

As far as Flea's playing, I really like it all around, but since I generally dig Freakey Styley a lot, so that's what I chose :)

18. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I didn't vote simply because I can't catagorize the way I feel about them into those 4 choices..

I really love the pre-Mothers Milk stuff... to me it is all more funky, even tho guitarist and drummers changed).... I put those albums in the same "catagory"

Mothers Milk was a turning point, but still more old school

BSSM was a definate turning point or I should say "already turned", still quite possibly my all time favorite album..

OHM is good, but different.. almost have to be in a bit of a mellower mood for it..

Cali was good, same thing tho, I have to be in a bit of a mellower mood for it.. liked it better than OHM tho..

BTW is great too... most songs are mellower but still get me in a head boppin groove and I think they have gone exactly the way they were meant to go..

Had Hillel hung around they probably would have stayed more funky-bass style, but then again, how long can you go on recording albums while doing what they were doing on a regular basis? Not that John helped in regards to that, but Hillel would have brought down Flea before too long..

Anyways, I at times wish that I could hear some new RHCP that would remind me of the old school Blackeyed Blond or Skinny Sweaty Man but at the same time I love hearing their new stuff.. they have certainly grown up and their music shows it in every way.

19. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Actually, I just don't frickin know!!!

I was just listening to Coffee Shop and Aeroplane (both from OHM) and damn thats good shi... stuff. Like seriously.. I just love it all too much.

20. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Like we REALLY needed another??

Paul... Can you sprinkle some of this around the site??

[​IMG]

:meh: :rolleyes: