Another "Help Me Decide" thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by S. Byrnes, Dec 14, 2004.

1. The time is coming soon when I'll have to get a new bass. For once price isn't an issue, but time is, so I can't be waiting 6-8 months for a boutique bass. I'll be playing rock and metal with a bit of slapping too, so I need some versatility.
    In this situation I like the rounder sound of a P-bass over the J-bass. I also like the sound of humbuckers, and I need to cut through a loud live mix. I like the way MM Stingrays sound but I don't like the necks. So far I was thinking:

Carvin LB70 with HB's(never played one)
    Fender American Deluxe P
    Fender American Deluxe Zone (never played american version)
    G&L L2000(never played one)
    Spector NS4 (if i can find one in stock)
    Lakland 4-94 (never played their 4 strings, but like their 5's)

Other suggestions are welcome. I'm looking for 4 strings with good tension. Good weight and balance are a plus. Thanks a lot.
  2. Here is another G&L. . .

I have been cruising the lakland sight and I am really digging those basses. I like the osborns a lot. But the standard one (94-4) the MM pup you like.

edit: looks like you can have the P/J or MM/J but not MM/P.

I like the P better for driving sound. But you can make a J pup sound pretty aggressive, especially with a good amp.
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Lakland or Spector hands down.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You should check out this company called Traben. I just got a 5-string from them and it plays awesome! However, its heavy as ****. Not so sure about their 4-strings though...
  5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If you like the way a Stingray sounds but don't like the neck, you should look into a Sterling. More of a "J" type neck with the same sound as a Stingray (even more versatile though, because of the coil switching option). Or just go all out and get the certified Stingray on steroids, a Modulus Flea bass!
  6. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Did you try a Bongo or Sterling?
  7. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003

I would suggest a Status Smartbass with an MM configuration and an active preamp. It will run you less than the Spector and flat out outperform the Lakland.
  8. G&L SB-2 is the bass for you. I can feel it in my BONES!

I dig all G&L basses...I'd like to have at lease one of each type.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    We have us a winner right here. There is one for sale in the FS forum right now.

10. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I'd go for the Lakland or the Spector.... but guess which I'd choose :D
  11. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
  12. Thanks guy, I think I'm going to get a Spector. One of my friends got a US Spector NS5 for christmas, when he was 18 :spit:, and I got to play it a few times. It was just one of the nicest, smoothest, most solid feeling basses I've ever picked up. I've tried out Bongo's with single and dual humbuckers, 4 and 5 strings and I didn't dig them too much either. Something about Musicman basses doesn't do it for me.
  13. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    You made the right choice :)

May I be the first to welcome you to the club! ;) :smug: :bassist:
  14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1... except I'd personally have gone for the Lakland. I'm SO GASing over a 55-94 these days... :D