1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another "Need help for bassist project"(Jaco's influences)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by joeyang761020, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Sorry about starting another one of these threads, but my topic is kind of different the other guy's, so I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread. So my question is simply is, who is Jaco Pastorius influenced by? I checked everywhere, but couldn't find anything. Also, it would be helpful if you know what artist/bassist is influenced by Jaco.
    Thank in advance.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Have you read the Milkowski bio on Jaco?

Jaco mentions doing a 'bad impression of Jerry Jemmott' on the Modern Electric Bass DVD.

IMHO, more important than who influenced Jaco is what influenced Jaco.
    "What" = about everything he heard while living in Florida.
    R&B/Soul/Funk(the Pop & 'underground' hits of the day)
    Jazz(Swing to Bebop to New Thing)
    Latin/Caribbean(Salsa to Reggae to Calypso)
    Rock(obviously, Hendix & The Beatles)
    Classical(Stravinsky &, I assume, Charles Ives)

Jaco admitted to being a 'musical mutt'(vs. those that are 'musical purists').

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think you could also mention "Film Scores" /Film Music - so his solo stuff has things which sound like a film soundtrack and he often quoted tunes he had heard in films - like "Alfie" ,"Sound of Music" etc.

EDIT - I suppose you should say - insert "Movie" for "Film" - if you live in North America....;)

4. in terms of phrasing and tone, Jaco was a huge Sinatra fan. really! no kidding!

as far as bassists went, he was really into Cachao, the upright cat.

hope that was some help,

from the lows,

Stew

5. Thanks a lot.......everybody........that helped a lot.....

6. Jaco mention McCartney, Jemmott, and a few others. Jaco transcended being "influenced" by a certain bassist. Jaco was born to be the greatest bassist ever regardless. So, in a sense, and if he were still alive would probably tell you, he probably more than likely influenced himself! :bassist: :smug:

7. another quick note:

Jaco was really inspired to be a musician because of his father Jack who was a jazz drummer and singer.

from the lows,

Stew