1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another reason to refrain from spanking your child

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Sep 27, 2009.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
  2. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    That explains why I'm a bassist.

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Correlation does not imply causation

4. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    You have to love statistics.

/sarcasm

5. I'm too lazy to check right now, but I hope that "study" was privately funded.

Mike

6. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Load of rubbish, I refuse to believe it for a second. I'm not pro-spanking, just sick of such tripe being written about as if its fact rather than supposition. What size was the test group? Did he take any other factors into consideration? Too many unknowns still there to mindlessly accept a "study" with such an obvious agenda.

7. Stigs

Stigs

Sep 29, 2007
    Richmond, Virginia
    Become a pirate, save the environment!

fsm_pirates-400.

8. For every study against something, you can find one in favour of it.

9. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

There's an xkcd for everything:

correlation.

10. three out of four bulgarian lap dancers agree nineteen times out of twenty......as to the study b.s.....the parents stopped spanking around the middle of my generation and how's that workin' for ya....now were on the third generation of kids raised by kids that think the world owes them

11. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    why on earth would anyone have children??

12. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    1/3 of all car accidents are caused by been intoxicated while driving.

Therefore 2/3 of all accidents are caused by not been intoxicated while driving.

Therefore you are twice as likely to have an accident if you are not drunk, so drink up!

13. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    That's pretty great

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    56.79% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

15. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    No. Absolutely not.

That number is actually 62.151%

16. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    [​IMG]

17. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    If any of my three kids steps off the curb into traffic without looking, it's a paddlin'.

18. PC crap

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's as much B.S. as the the Yahoo link. You're using deductive reasoning with huge problems with internal validity to answer a question of causality that should be tested through statistical empiricism with controlled confounds. Unless, of course, you're being sarcastic. In that case... :D

Though to be fair, the spanking study is probably a legitimate study that's reported in a reputable peer-reviewed psychological journal in which the principal investigator recognizes that she found a correlation between spanking and IQ. She may have even built a regression model with her findings. The mainstream media jounalist just latched onto it, igorned the difference between correlation and causation, and reported it as "OMG!!! neW SuDy finDz spaNkin' yer KidZ makeZ them stuPiDer!!!!"

20. i got my ass whipped growing up. a lot. and i did exceptionally well in high school and hold a college degree. they can study all they want, but they are never going to be able to pin something like intelligence. its entirely too arbitrary.