1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another Schroeder Story

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt2, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Maybe this doesn't need it's own thread, but hey, here's my 2c on the 1210.

I've been struggling for years now trying to make the most of an old Peavey rig that sometimes put out enough volume to be heard and sometimes didn't. Sometimes I used a 210, sometimes a 115 and ocassionally both together (which is quite loud). Even when it could be heard, it wasn't exactly the nicest sound. Trying to compete with two marshall half stacks and an overly excitable drummer didn't help things either.

Due to lack of finances I've been doing a progressional upgrade of my gear for about 9 months. Started with a new bass (MM SUB - amazing value for money), then got the 1210 in december last year.

It was far louder than a Peavey 210tx with the same head (Peav Mk VI), but it felt pretty empty, very middy and not quite there. I knew from reviews that it needs some decent wattage to really get moving, however the 250watts was all I had on hand. Besides, Jorg had told me it would be fine due to the speakers high efficiency.

Over the last month or two I've managed to pick up a Yamaha PB-1 and a used Crest CA6 to really try out the Schro. A couple of weeks ago I finally got to give the 1210 a go with some more wattage, though I was only using one side of the CA6 at the time, about 500w. The cab did sound better, as I'd expected it would, but again it wasn't quite the sound that I'd thought people had been talking about here. It was good but was it worth the AU$2600 I'd spent putting this little rig together? I wasn't convinced.

Last night I took my extremely questionable handyman skills and rewired a speaker cable to getting things really pumping in bridge-mono. I turned on the amp and it didn't blow up, so thing were already off to a great start...

After turning up and and playing with EQ a bit, all of a sudden it hit me. There it was. This is what I've been waiting for. Clear, clean, solid and loud without being boomy. It really is a small box (I've got back problems) that can handle itself ,and even throw a punch or two back, in the face of a loud rock band.

So there it is. I'm happy as a pig in sh*t.:D All I've got to do now is learn how to play bass better :meh:

Sorry to all current Schroeder owners that've read this thesis, I've probably wasted a good deal of your time. :eek: Hopefully it might help a prospective buyer sometime though.

BTW, I realise the PB-1 and CA6 have a good deal to do with the sound too. I haven't had much to compare them to, but at this stage I would highly recommend them both to anyone!

Cheers

Matt

2. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    good story. Its taken me a while to like mine as well but thats more to do with not really likeing my ABM as well. just got a MB SA450 and i couldnt be happier.
    One thing though, at my last two gigs (and the first with the MB) i was louder than i have been before, and like you said, thats when the 1210 starts to shine but what happens at smaller gigs? your back to playing maybe 200-300watts. would you then lose the tone you get at higher volumes?
    I find i do need to add more low end at lower volumes but i dont really play much over 300watts anyway and thats not really pushing the cab.

3. I don't think there's much that can be done about that. I'll have to play with the eq when the time comes. Luckily (for me), nearly all of my gigs are in venues where the noise is deafening... Gotta love ear plugs!

There's a definate need to add more bass with low wattage, otherwise the midrange stands out too much and it all sounds honky.

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I agree with you about the honkyness. it really bugged me when i first got the 1210, it still does to a certain extent as im usually standing right in front of it on stage. but it nothing i cant EQ around. im now getting to love the cab. just need to do bigger gigs

5. joe skinner

joe skinner

Mar 17, 2006
    Schroeder 1210 + pre amp + power amp = happiness.

Sometime have someone play it outdoors and walk a block away. Gets better the farther you are from it. I tack on other cabs when necessary but most of the time just use the 1210.

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I just wish i get get further away from it. i tend to be quite loud on stage now but cant really gague how well it sounds on the dance floor. No complaints so far though.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    after a few gigs & rehearsals, i just simply fell in love w/ my 1210L's sound.

punches like a mofo, and seems to kick out all the right frequencies.