1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another string spacing question.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Dave Higham, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Dave Higham

Dave Higham

Dec 19, 2005
    S.W.France
    Well, sort of.

Leaving aside the arguments about whether string spacing at the nut should be equal 'between strings' or 'between centres', how much space do you leave between the outside of the string and the edge of the fretboard?

Second question, do you keep this distance constant all the way up the board or does it get progressively bigger?

I know that on guitars the top and bottom strings tend to get further away from the edge as you go up the f'board. What about basses?

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    3mm/1/8" from the outside edge of the string to the outside of the fretboard.

Strings are about 1 mm further from the edge at the last fret to accomodate for most players tendancies to pull the G when they play up the neck, and push the E or B up the neck.

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    About 2mm, and constant. That's because my fingerboards are relatively flat, which (combined with proper technique) almost eliminates the chance for unintentional lateral displacement.

4. tjmdetroit

tjmdetroit

Jan 27, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    ...pull the G or C string.... (some folks prefer six string basses Mr. Logic!) :eyebrow: