Anthony Jackson via Leland Sklar

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lava, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Lava

Lava Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    This was posted on Leland Sklar's Instagram today:
    The great Anthony Jackson is now in assisted living. He is a beautiful soul, a dear friend and one of the greatest bassists ever. My heart is with you!

So sad, Anthony is one of the greatest. Good vibes to him.

ElMon likes this.
  2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    All the best to Anthony Jackson.

Mvilmany likes this.
  3. The grooves, tones, heart, mind and soul of Anthony Jackson contributed so much to the music he blesses us with.

The Owl likes this.
  4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Wishing him all the best, and hope that he's able to recover.

The Owl and gebass6 like this.
  5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I had the pleasure of meeting Anthony during Bass Day in New York City in 2000. I found him humble, pleasant to listen to and a good listener. He had some health issues that he had recovered from them. Also on that day I spoke with Chuck Rainey, Percy Heath, Marcus Miller and Billy Sheehan. Wishing Anthony all the best.

david osborn likes this.
  6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Man...

jerry likes this.
  7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Get well AJ!

NigelD likes this.
  8. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    A copy paste from my post in the other thread about Anthony Jackson's unfortunate situation:

Great player, great human being.

No discussion one of the very best, who everyone can learn much from, and whom I wish all the best for.

Sad to learn about his declining health.

kobass likes this.
  9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

A recent photo of him with Hiromi.
    AJ and Hiromi.png

Mechanical and Dr. Cheese like this.
  10. My inspiration on bass. Feel better, Anthony. Much respect to you.

11. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    ElMon and Dr. Cheese like this.
  12. I like to credit Anthony Jackson with rescuing the electric bass guitar, pulling it back from the brink of extinction, snatching it from the jaws of destruction by the seemingly inexorable onslaught of keyboard and computer.

Is that too strong ? :)

13. david osborn

david osborn

Jul 5, 2018
    Louisiana
    No. I heard Anthony say to my dad, many years ago "it breaks my heart.. what's happening to our instrument"

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Well I don't think Anthony did it single-handedly and it's a slight exaggeration that it was getting replaced wide-scale by keyboards and programming :D but I do shows occasionally with other bands without a bass player. Did one yesterday as a matter of fact. Time marches on, people are always looking for ways to do things differently than others, either for financial or musical reasons, and I don't sweat it so much.

Humbled and david osborn like this.
  15. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Seeing this for the first time now, it is with great respect and appreciation, indeed with awe, that I consider anew Anthony Jackson's evolution of the bass guitar and the craft of playing it, and his lifetime commitment to artistry rather than fad or gain. I wish Mr. Jackson peace and happiness.

david osborn likes this.
  16. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

He had a pretty bad stroke, usually 90% or above of what recovery you're going to make comes back during your first year, miracles do happen.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I met him at that Bass Day too. IIRC Percy Heath was getting a lifetime achievement award but the noise pretty much drowned it out

Clark Dark likes this.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    No, you got it right.

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The reality is that AJ is an older man with what I think are common health issues. The reality is that his fate could be mine, and I am not a lot younger than AJ. I wish him the best, but we are not machines that will go on forever.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Mechanical, Stumbo and bobyoung53 like this.
  20. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    From the first time I heard him on record I knew he was a genius on the bass. I don't use that word often but Anthony was able to inspire the musicians he was playing with as well as the listener. But, in addition Anthony Jackson showed great intelligence behind his playing. By that, there was never a boundary he could not achieve toward his desires on bass. There was never a gig where I did not hear people commenting how Anthony's bass sounded, skills and how he made the band sound great.

Stumbo, Dr. Cheese and ElMon like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2022