Anthony Jackson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rumbler, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for posting. For most of us, we get our facts straight when an original source like you posts.:)

The Owl likes this.
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    As if I needed another reason to love Talkbass!

Thanks, AJ!

I wonder if we could get an "Ask Anthony Jackson" forum.....

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    that would be a great idea!

4. conebeckham

conebeckham

Jun 27, 2008
    Bay Area CA
    Seconded!

And thanks for clearing up the misinformation, Mr. Jackson. Best wishes to you!

5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    As long as he's down for it, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.
    Plus, he'd be one hell of an asset to Talkbass.

DuncanStan likes this.
  6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Maybe one of the greatest assets to TB... man, he would get flooded with "?'s"...

7. bottomzone

bottomzone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2005
    That would be awesome-to be able to pick the brain of one of the most innovative bassists in history!!!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

8. I logged on earlier today (6-12-09) and saw Anthony Jackson was logged on but he did not post anything. It driving me crazy as to the make of the combo amp I saw him using...I think 18" w/silver grill again he was carrying it along with bass in a gig bag....anyway This is the recording that really gets to me every time. I have this on Laser Disc... Stevie Wonder's "Cause We Ended as Lovers" IMO, the bass is just majestic...The guitar players are ok too!

:bag:

9. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Honestly, I question whether Anthony Jackson would have the patience for the kind of questions that would be asked on an internet message board (I can envision loads of questions on slapping). Plus, he's a busy fellow I'm sure.

10. my bass teacher here in adelaide, australia, recently moved back here after living in the USA 25 years (the last 15 or so being in NY).
    in addition to being a great musician my teacher is also has a lot of experience as a sound engineer, and studio recording, and has had the pleasure of recording AJ before.

he said what he gathered from meeting and speaking with him was that he's not as busy as you might think! something about people instantly dismissing giving AJ a call simply because they think he's too busy, or too big, to play on their recording. of course if enough people do this someone, even with the amazing talent and depth of musicianship of AJ, isn't getting a whole lot of calls for gigs and recordings.

i mean no disrespect to AJ, who is for my money, the best bass player of all time.

i think gary willis is in a similar predicament, where he's had to look into other avenues outside of music to pay the bills. kind of a shame.

also a little disheartening for the regular joe blows like you and i.

11. ahh, now i hope i'm not spreading mis-information...

but this was an awesome post!

12. Never ask Anthony Jackson about slapping....never...if anything, he may refer you to Ike Turner! :) He has been correcting posts about himself and has thrown in his 2 cents. I agree. I don't think he would want to ramble and debate with bedroom, garage and basement dwellers...unless they hit a nerve. Check out his postings.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Is it just me, or did Anthony's post seem a little out of proportion? I mean, in the career of a guy who's done as much and with as many people as he has, some "facts" are bound to be wrong from time to time, and it seemed like he was a little more upset about it than he should be. I know he's not one to suffer fools gladly, but I don't think anyone posted anything that was inaccurate out of foolishness, meanness, or disrespect.

14. That's the legend of AJ. He wants the facts about him to be correct. For example...He gets upset when people say he is hard to work with...based on "stories" heard about him. It may have caused him NOT to get a few gigs based on the stories. I think its his "New Yorker" that comes out first! Jeff Berlin gets the same negative brand based on stories about him. That may be his "Bostonian" IMO I do believe they love to debate and sometimes look for worthy oponent...And yes I am afraid to talk to either one...about bass that is! Oops I just re-enforced the stereotype! :)

15. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
  16. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier and Instrument Tech at Kala Brand Music Co.
    So great to have you chime in here! I am sorry if it seemed I was propagating false information. I originally stated that I greatly preferred the movie soundtrack version of "The Whiz" although I wasn't sure who was on the Broadway release. And with regards to "Night Sprite," I was only relaying what I had read in an article that was written in the late-90's. They must have misinterpreted the information you gave them. The facts are duly noted!

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Some clips...

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have no idea who that was or what she was saying, but that was some amazing music.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Akiko Yano... and I agree, amazing music.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks, Brad- I'll look her up.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021