Anthony Jackson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rumbler, Feb 15, 2008.

1. yep, Akiko's great.

ahhh, love checking out some AJ in between lessons....

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Are there any Cds of this trio?

3. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    They apparently weigh a ton- I remember someone on TB saying so after he tried Bill Dickens' one.

I love those Di Meola albums from the late 70s/early 80s with Jackson on them.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    are there?

7. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
  8. Hoover

Hoover Inactive

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    The first Ken Smith bass I ever saw was one of those: Manny's had one in the window of their 48th Street store sometime in the late 70s/early 80s. What the hell did all those controls do?!?!?!

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I recall it having a built-in envelope follower. Pretty wild at the time.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That would still be pretty wild nowadays :D I had the old Bill Dickens VHS where he spends ten minutes talking about that bass- he seemed completely enamored by it at the time.

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    here one more...

12. Cool! Interesting music and Anthony, of course, sounds amazing. I totally dig his tone in the first clip. He's one of the few guys that just totally integrates the whole 6 string thing to me, versus most guys who do the whole 'go up top for solos and ignore most of the capabilities of the instrument the rest of the time'. Anthony uses the whole axe!

13. AJ is a bass genius, IMHO. One that changed/changes the way we listen and think about bass. One of my true favourites, any day.
    There's yet another precious AJ gem in Dave Weckl's "Master Plan", in a latin-flavoured song titled "Festival de ritmo", for those of you who haven't already listened to it.

14. Leo Smith

Leo Smith Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Anthony Jackson spoke at Berklee yesterday and it was live streamed -- Bass Forum

15. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    This is wonderful, thank you for sharing!

16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thank you for posting, I've been wondering/worried that he wasn't playing much over the last couple of years. It had been great to see him healthy and talking.

17. Here is the video of Steve Bailey playing AJ's Carl Thompson six, er contrabass:

Leo Smith likes this.
  18. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Something I thought was strange:
    In talking about the evolution of his 6's, the Carl Thompson #1 to his current Fodera #12,
    they completely omitted his arguably first modern style 6 strings, the Ken Smiths.

Leo Smith likes this.
  19. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Glad to see he's making his recovery. I was shocked when he said it had been two years since he'd last played.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021