Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Ants Marching" - DMB

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Feb 2, 2005.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I need to figure out the walk-down on the chorus after the "Take these chances..." vocal part. I've got the hammer-on stuff and the walk up to match the guitar and sax, etc.., but can't nail that walk down. Any help? And this is for the recorded version, btw.

Thanks!

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Ahhh fun song to play! Tell ya a silly little trick i learned to play steffan tunes! Wait and play it last in youre set list if ya can or at least later on! Wait till youre fingers and youre strings are all loose and oily! Steffan must have the greesy hand. For some reason that song just sounds so much better when youre greesy! I know dumb advice but it really does help!

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    I'm still not really seeing where that walk-down is after/during the first chorus. Where are the pull-offs? I watched the "Live in Central Park" DVD, and I don't know if it's just the recording or what, but compared to the studio version, it's one-note higher live, at least to the ear. Not sure why that is, but nevertheless, I donno. I got most of it down by ear, though.

4. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Its been years since i played that tune so i cant give too much advice! But i think if i rem. correct those pull offs are very very very subtle. Almost not there at all, you know that great smooth tone he has can have that effect! With steffan its almost as important you get his tone as it is to learn the tune! I have a horrible time getting that tone! Just not like my tone at all. But i LOVE to listen too it! Dont get me wrong i have learned just about every dave song there is. And i know how to get that special steffan tone but only on my amp and my warwick!LOL

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    I figured it out. For all future reference, it is the D major scale, played down all on the A string, starting on the 17th fret. That's how it is on the "Central Park" DVD, at least. I got some help from some friends, but that's the correct positioning and everything. It's exactly what he does on his Flea 4.

And yeah, I had a hard time by ear getting the technique exactly right, but I've got it down pat now. You alternately pluck every other note, and it sounds just about as perfect as can be.

6. IF you want his tone, get a flea bass, that is where the secret lies. i can run my amps eq totally flat and NAIL the tone with no effects.

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Damn, he must have some crazy EQ'ing going on then. I had a Flea 4 at one point, and that thing was brighter than a Musicman with NEW DR Hi-Beams- it was nuts! His sound is in his compression, too. Those Distressors are some serious units. Wish I had the few $G to get one.

8. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    He was using a warwick when he did that tune! I think hes tone isnt near as awsome as it was back in the day! Saw them when they first came out in a smaller club in springfield missouri and it was a thumping hard hitting sound! Saw them last year and i couldnt even hear the bass lines!

9. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Also would help to have the myers sound gear he has! But i think you might have to sell youre soul to get that stuff!

10. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    It's that "Sound of Wood"
    not the "Sound of Graphite"

11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well he did have a modulus quatum 5 that sounded very nice live! I liked the tone of it much better than the flea bass!

12. That's the FOH mix, nothing to do with stefan. The tone from Before These Crowded Streets on the song 'Crush' is exactly what my Flea sounds like. The sound of wood through 15,000 dollars of effects can be made to be the same as the sound of graphite, and vice versa. I also have the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp and MM Basslines pickup.

Don't jump to conclusions!

13. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Trust me i dont jump to much of anything! ;) I know alot about studio mixing. I was talking about live as in the shows i was talking about in the above post. I have seen them twice since he swapped basses and it just lost every thing that he used to have. Actully when i saw chili peppers last spring i kinda thought the same thing! Couldnt here flea at all. Just screaming guitar. Not really saying its the bass but maybe i am. I havent had the chance to play the flea bass yet. I did enjoy the quatums but not as much as the warwicks. Stefans sound to me comes alot from the myers sound equipment they all use. I had the pleasure a couple years back to run sound at a local mumorial hall for a concert and they had myers gear. Man that stuff was so fun to work with! Just pure brilliance in a speaker! But wow its high$$$$$$ :crying:

14. The thing is, they no longer use Meyer for their shows at all. It's all JBL and Stefan uses Ampeg amps.

15. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    My opinion they should have kept the meyers stuff. Much better sound than there newer stuff. They should boot that dude thats producing the last cd. Next thing you know Dave will be doing the glam thing by himself and have 3 japanese girls follow him all over! LOL

16. They stopped using Meyer in 2000, I think they sound much better now.