1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any bionic TBers out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Smokin' Toaster, Jul 19, 2012.

1. I'm about to join your ranks on July 30th. Hip replacement due to severe osteoarthritis. The right one's up first, with the left one somewhere down the line. I'm looking forward to walking without a limp, being pain free, and being able to tie my own shoes and clip my toenails again. And suggestions or advice from those who have had a hip replacement is welcome.

2. Got a total knee done a few years ago, only advice is take your antibiotics before your dentist appointments.

And enjoy the PT. (ouch.)

3. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    Titanium plate in my right wrist, I broke it in 2 or was it 3 places and a fracture, just from coming off a push bike!

Good luck with the op. :D

4. Often chronic, never bionic...

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have about 7 teeth that are mostly metallic. That's all the replacement parts I have.

6. Illini10

Illini10

May 15, 2012
    Elmwood, IL
    My youngest son has a mechanical heart valve. I tell his older brother and his friends that he's part robot. They think that's pretty cool. He "clicks" when he's being quiet.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    lol!
    I have an o-ring in one of my valves. (MVP repair) along with a sternum full of twisted titanium wire that once held it together. the sad part is that I cant even set off a metal detector :(

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Do the screws in my spine count?

They definitely made me better, stronger, faster than I was before.

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Good luck with your surgery. It looks like I'll be having 4 cervical vertebrae fused in the next month or so - titanium plate, definitely bionic.

10. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    oh my god, I'm surrounded by cyborgs! HELP!!!

11. bryan.worley

bryan.worley

Dec 29, 2005
    Lowell, MA
    Had a left knee replaced at age 27 courtesy of the Afghanistan tourism trade ;)

PT sucks at first, but then you'll see it's a great way to gauge your recovery progress. Listen to your doctors! I've seen too many buddies get into a mess because they thought they were further along than they were.

Best of luck to you! Being part artificial is why I love living in the future.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    plate and 13 screws holding my right foot & leg together.

I had a 14th one put in, but they pulled it out 2 months later before letting me start PT.

screw.

in the Doc's office on a table... he numbed the spot, cut a slit, and used a cordless drill to pull that one out.

13. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    My whole left side was crushed in a motorcycle accident in 1991. Hip and knee were both replaced then, plates, pins and screws holding most of my left side together.

The total bill in 1991 dollars was $643,000 including a year and a half of daily therapy. I joke that I'm the .6 million dallar man.

Advice? Give absolute everything that you've got into your physical therapy. How you attack your therapy will determine your future.

Good luck, you'll be fine.

14. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I have nothing bionic. I did have ACL replacement and shoulder arthroscopic surgery.

1. Watch your caloric intake. You will be less mobile than usual during rehab so you'll be burning less calories.
    2. Follow rehab directions
    3. Follow pain management directions
    4. Full recovery takes months, keep that in mind when doing rehab and physical therapy.

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I had a shoulder rebuilt about twenty five years ago, and I have a five tooth bridge that is mostly metal.

I'm kind of disappointed that I can't set off the metal detectors, too. I think titanium wire doesn't do much on the detectors. Bummer.

16. Had my right hip replaced on May 7! My first major surgery and it went extremely well!:hyper: Started physical therapy 1 week after the surgery, back to work 2 weeks after, and started driving by the end of the 3rd week...So happy with the results! PM me if you have any questions!

Russ

17. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Where to start:

Metal bar from knee to ankle on left leg from tib/fib fracture in '95.

Spinal fusion at L5/S1, failed.

SpinalCord Stimulator implant, leads attached to spinal cord, wires running down right side, battery pack implanted in abdomen.

I'm probably the only person on TB that has a remote that controls something INSIDE their bodies!!
    2990fa45.
    eae1a121.

18. Thanks for all the good wishes, and to Cincy for relating his good experience.

My gui**** had to point out that sometimes these operations don't go so well, and proceeded to tell me every implant horror story that a friend of a friend of a friend had ever told him. I told him that I had a horror story too... I used to play guitar. I got better though.

19. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    :D

20. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I'm amazed at your quick recovery. I'm probably looking at hip replacement in the future. I've been weight lifting for over 20 years. Deep squats. I'm pretty sure the ball joint is no longer round. I've already been feeling minor bits of pain on a sporadic basis in the last year. :crying: