1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any dangers with low sting action?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Leo Dale, Feb 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Leo Dale

Leo Dale

Jan 28, 2018
    is playing with low action on your bass potentially dangerous for the frets? I've been slapping a brand new Sire for almost 2 hours now and there is for sure fret buzz because of the low action it arrived with

2. Leo Dale

Leo Dale

Jan 28, 2018
    is playing with low action on your bass potentially dangerous for the frets? I've been slapping a brand new Sire for almost 2 hours now and there is for sure fret buzz because of the low action it arrived with. Wondering if I should raise the action just to be on the safe side and not ruin a brand new bass, can it damage the intonation?

3. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Set the action where you like it. The strings WILL eventually wear your frets, but that is MANY years down the road.

jamro217 and petrus61 like this.
  4. Leo Dale

Leo Dale

Jan 28, 2018
    I really slapped this bass for 2 hours straight really hard, just so much fun to play, should I raise the action just to be on the safe side? I like playing rough

5. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    No. Slap that thing silly. The string height won't make any difference, other than how much buzz you are generating. If you like it (sound/feel/etc.) then just keep it that way.

EpicSoundtracks and lz4005 like this.
  6. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Why would it mess up the intonation?

7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The frets will also eat the strings many times over before that happens. If OP was really digging in, chances are they’re (the strings) probably beginning to wear on the bottom and that could introduce some buzz itself.

8. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

You're fine. Have fun. Belated welcome to TB.

9. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    If it is constant and heard through your amp OR it kills the string sustain, just raise the bridge height adjustment pieces a slight amount. Never had a problem with it but I usually set up to buzz is only slightly heard if I play VERY VERY VERY HARD.

This guy could probably answer your question too but his technique normally sort-of slaps down on the string, bouncing it off of the fretboard. He does have fret buzz at times.

10. Leo Dale

Leo Dale

Jan 28, 2018
    No, soundwise everything is fine, I'm really just wondering if playing too hard for a long time on low action strings could dig in to the frets excessively and damage them quicker than usual, i.e hurt intonation, or is that only a risk with high action?

11. That's not a risk with any action. It's really not going to happen unless you replace your strings with a dremel or something.

EpicSoundtracks and Johnny Crab like this.