1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Dick Lovgren/Meshuggah fans?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zarathustra3, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    Topic. I saw them in Maryland a few months ago. It was awesome. Mr. Lovgren went through about 6 custom shop Warwick Dolphins. Those things are like at least $6000 a piece. He had one with a french ash body and purple heart neck.... Freakin sweet.

Has anybody else seen them this year? He pulled what looked like a Buzzard on bleed. I'm dying to know what that bass was.

2. Such face-melting tone. I think he only went through 2 Dolphins when I saw them play earlier this year in Sydney. Chances are he could be using more basses on these larger/longer tours...that or Warwick hooked him up with a new axe.

3. I've never heard of Dick using a Buzzard, so I'd be interested to know. I don't recall him ever having one.

4. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    It wasn't a buzzard it looked like it though. Maybe a gibson thunderbird(sp)? There is a short video of him playing it on the "Meshuggah in India" DVD that comes with the enhanced edition of Koloss. He only uses it on bleed.

5. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    Here is a video of the show I was at and here's this bass I'm talking about

*** is that thing lol

6. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Besides Dick L√∂vgren's Dolphin's, he has a Warwick Stryker. This is similar to the bass you saw him with on tour...but his is black satin finish. [​IMG]

7. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    Oh wow never saw one of those. That's awesome. It does look like a buzzard a little. Same headstock isn't it?

8. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
  9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Slightly off-topic, but does anybody else accidentally think of Dolph Lundgren in Rocky IV when they read the name Dick Lovgren?

[​IMG]
    Drago.

10. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    ^ Yes lol. Are Stryker's still available through the custom shop?

11. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Zarathustra3 - The Stryker is no longer available. Thanks!

12. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    I always wondered why he didn't use four strings more often since he just tunes up a half step for all of their 8 string material.

13. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    The tone from those mirrored P style pickups is perfect for Meshuggah's tone.

14. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    I would love to see what a bass, like the Quake, that was built for a low F tuning sounded like with 8 string guitar. I do love what Meshuggah does with bass but I'm just curious to hear it with the bass even lower. You can't just put a .175 string on a regular scale. The bass needs to be built for it.

15. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    I've seen it with that 4 string black stryker this year... don't have any pictures though.

His sound kills !! I'm a great meshuggah fan and it's the better show I've seen this year !! Really tight and powerful !!

16. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    So this guy tunes all the way down to F standard tuning... :eek: Is the fundamental note the low F even still within the audible range of human hearing? :confused:

Some of my metal friends seem to hate on Meshuggah (calling them Mechuggah and such) but I think there stuff is solid.

17. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    ^No he tunes his EADG strings up a half step to FA#D#G# to match the guitar players 8 string guitars tuned down a half step. So the guitar and bass are on the same octave level. I think it sounds awesome, especially on songs like "Stengah" and "Behind the Sun".

Low F is 20hz. which is the last note the human ear can hear. So how low can you go? That's how low lol. If you try to tune a B string down to F or put like a .175 gauge string on there, a regular bass doesnt have enough tension to make it sound like anything let alone not buzz like hell.

Check this bass out though. It's built specifically for dropped tunings below B.

http://www.knuckleguitarworks.com/instruments/quake.html

18. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Meshuggah is a polarizing band. They have a very different approach to the creative process, and it offends some people.

As for myself, I like them, but I don't really care for a lot of their newer music. To my ear, the best bass tone they ever had was with Gustav Hielm on bass, on the album Chaosphere. It was tight, grindy, angry, and above all, audibile.

Like such:

19. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    ^Meshuggah definately had the best 7 string guitar/ 5 string bass tone i've ever heard, their "Destroy Erase Improve" and "Chaosphere" albums in particular. I am a huge fan of their 8 string work. I know alot of people hate them but I for one don't understand how you cannot enjoy, "Nothing", "Catch 33", "Obzen" and their new album "Koloss" all of which have used 8 string guitars tuned down a step and four string bass tuned up a step.