1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any DIY pedal builders on TB? Strut your stuff!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SubHuman, Jun 26, 2020.

1. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    PedalPcb Ocelot in progress...

382472F3-B761-4708-8316-09B43370EA77.jpeg

2. I have a Lo|Fat version that is a favorite, one big reason for my jumping into the deep end of DIY.

mdalamond likes this.
  3. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    So who makes a good 3PDT stomp switch? I still have a handful of old Fulltone switches from 15 years ago. Any suggestions?

4. JoeDaddio

JoeDaddio Supporting Member

I buy all of my switches and jacks from Love My Switches. Their house 3PDT feel like super fancy ones compared to Tayda. I recently bought some of these light blue ones and they are like butter. LMS is my one stop for pretty much all of my off board components. Their wire is really nice as well.

Edit to add:

These are the buttery ones: Pro 3PDT Latched Foot Switch - Solder Lugs - Feather Soft Click

And these are the normal ones: 3PDT Latched Foot Switch - Solder Lugs - Blue

The normal ones are pretty nice.

joe

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    cosmicevan, mdalamond and AudioTaper like this.
  5. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I get mine from Musikding, BitsBox or Switch Electronics but no idea who the original manufacturer is...

cosmicevan and JoeDaddio like this.
  6. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    I started building pedals for the same reason we all did (deep down) To try to impress a girl. Ha!

I was 18 in 1999 and just started college courses for electronics (which I got into because I was playing bass and wanted to be able to fix or mod my own stuff) There was a girl I was interested in who just started playing guitar. Her Roland JC77 didn't have a good distortion channel, so I tried to build her a Fuzz Face. My dad had an original 1968 Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face that I pulled the back off of and copied. The pedal worked out as well as things worked out with the girl: it failed. But I learned a bit in both areas...

That same year, my guitar player friend was buying high dollar Fuzz pedals (Diaz, Roger Mayer, etc) so I reworked the fuzz board and made him a good sounding NPN Fuzz Face. I traded it for help deciphering some lines from the Primus 'Antipop' album that I still cant play right.

I also have 2 pedal books by Craig Anderton. I wanted to build the Ring Modular, but never did. I still have a few Phase-lock-loop ICs in my stash.

Part of my library
    20210220_202855.jpg

Any Primus fans? If you've studied your Floyd properly you'd know that pigs could fly
    20210220_202900.jpg

7. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Those buttery Pro switches are 1/3 the price of those Fulltone switches I bought 16 years ago. Ha
    Buy 10 and save? I like it! I ordered some of those little switch boards from PedalPCB. It looks a lot easier to swap out a switch (if it breaks) than hard wiring it.

JoeDaddio likes this.
  8. I've got a bunch of cheap stuff (3PDTs, caps, etc), a bit of a mish-mash of whatever I could get my hands on and afford. I'll continue to practice with these cheaper components, but A) knowing now I'm in this for good and B) after my amp-build and hearing/feeling the difference Hi-Q NOS Tubes made... (especially B!) — I'm willing to spend more on the projects I really care about.

So ... I'll have to use up the cheap stuff building Tube Screamers for guitarist friends. :ninja:

AudioTaper and JoeDaddio like this.
  9. mdalamond

mdalamond Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2012
    SE , North Carolina
    Im watching this one closely. I have it in my cart, Hoping for a happy ending.

10. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I've been on it today so nearly done with the board, missing a couple of resistors though so it'll be a few days before I get to power it up...

DC9C64D3-5A2E-4138-8058-F9D4E774A0CA.jpeg

AudioTaper, cosmicevan and mdalamond like this.
  11. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Has anyone wired XLR to mono jack in parallel in their builds? Thinking of doing this for a desktop Engineer's Thumb build with i/o on the control face...

12. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    How is the XLR output driven? Impedance balanced, servo balanced, or transformer balanced? Will both outputs be used at the same time?

13. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Here's my current Windows based GUI for my 8x8 matrix effects switcher. This version supports both a path before the HX Stomp and a path in the HX Stomp's effects loop. That's why there are only six positions in each path. Bass in and then out to the HX take one row and one column and then the HX loop takes one row and one column. Which leaves 6 loops available. Which means I need to remove the G position on the available loops. Oops.

It also will follow program changes via MIDI. I currently have it follow the HX Stomp's PC messages. If there is a switcher preset that matches the PC, it will switch to that preset.

Effects Switcher.png

- John

mdalamond likes this.
  14. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    That's all a big don't know at the moment, the circuit design is for mono jack out.

15. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Late night brainstorming the layout for my Reverb pedal. It's gotten to the point I need to make cardboard cutouts for the board, jacks, pots, etc... to make sure it's all going to fit in a 1590BB. Anyone else do this?

Also, I really wanted to solder something, so I put the resistors in my piezo buffer for my Jazz Bass project. The caps are on my long list of stuff to get from Mouser...
    20210222_010622.jpg

cosmicevan likes this.
  16. Had some cardboard mock-up pics, but can't find them at the moment.

Here's an idea that was heavily cardboarded to begin with...

IMG_0998.JPG IMG_1131.JPG IMG_1081.JPG IMG_1160.JPG

Before the PCBs arrived, I cut out cardboard bits the same size as the PCBs. Didn't have a 1590BB yet, either, so the first photo shows the PCBs arrived with the 1590BB Cardboard template... and some progression thereafter.

Cardboard templates, yup.

cosmicevan and AudioTaper like this.
  17. mdalamond

mdalamond Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2012
    SE , North Carolina
    I don’t make cardboard cut outs of the jacks, post and switches. What I do is trace the box out on a piece of cardboard and mount the pots. I then place the circuit in there and figure out where my jacks need to go. I have found there is a pretty standard measurement for most projects. This kinda gives an idea.
    E8D465AC-717B-4E78-93C0-A14F6A72073B.jpeg

cosmicevan and AudioTaper like this.
  18. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    More of a post-build post... I made up a PedalTrain of my larger format builds: GigaHearts DoppelGanger clone, PedalPcb Chaos Machine, PedalPcb Super Heterodyne, MusicPcb MeatBall clone.

Still working on the Chaos Machine as it loses LF from the dry signal so isn't perfect for bass (still a great modulated filter though), going to try a FuzzDog Blender instead of the dry signal path on the board.

F65D91D7-A638-42F6-A5D6-100693DAC1E6.jpeg

cosmicevan, JoeDaddio and AudioTaper like this.
  19. JoeDaddio

JoeDaddio Supporting Member

Looks like a lot of fun! Have you tried them all at once? Probably makes for some wacky times. How do you like the Meatball? I keep hearing about it and might have to build one one of these days.

Speaking of these larger builds: Your PLL posts a while back inspired me to try my hand at the PedalPCB SuperHetrodyne Receiver, which is an EQD Data Corrupter clone.

All in all I think I have about 6 or so boards in various stages of being put together, I've got some ordering to do to get everything finished up.

super.jpg

joe

20. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    The Meatball is the best envelope filter I've used... I used to have an original Lovetone and I've built a couple of clones, it's a little difficult to dial in the right sound with so many parameters but once you get it, it's awesome.

I've got 2 in progress (PedalPcb Ocelot and FuzzDog P45), nearly there with the Ocelot.

AudioTaper and JoeDaddio like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021