1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any experts in 197? model Ibanez copy bases out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MOEBASSPLAYER, May 21, 2011.

1. Today I went to a local GC to look at a 1975 vintage Ibanez P Copy. I was questioning the authenticity of this bass due to the fact that the neck was very narrow at the nut. I know that Precision basses have wider necks that the Jazz basses do, but does anyone know if the 1975 Ibanez P copys had a narrow neck, or was this GC trying to sell a P body with a jazz neck on it? The salesman was telling me that was the way the Ibanez models were. I have never read anything like that before. Also, the neckplate has a serial # L75xxxx, so I am under the impression that it is a true Ibanez model.

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I think they were thin, but I've never owned one, so i'm not 100% sure.

3. Where are all the bassists who have early 1970's Ibanez basses?

4. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    ibanezcollectors.com ;)

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I have to ask: What was GC asking for this fine piece of "Vintage" gear?

6. 599.99.

7. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Unless it is dead mint with original case that is on the high side. I wouldn't break 450 and even thats a lot.

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I wouldn't pay that much. These things were DIRT CHEAP when the came out.

But if you really like it...

9. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I own four lawsuit era ibanezes. I've posted them tons of times before, but hope theyre useful to you to find out if the guitar center one is real...

The precision, the one you're most likely interested in:

9ad5_3.

a75e_3.

Jazz Bass

93e8_3.

80c9_3.

caa6_3.

Ripper

ripper9.

ripper8.

ripper3.

rick 4001 copy

a.

e.

I hope those are useful to you...

I paid about
    375 for the p with HSC
    375 for the jazz with HSC
    550 for the ripper with OSHC
    500 for the 4001

All this about in the last four or five years...

10. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Its more of a collection thing, and having something unique not everyones going to have... and they stand up to the real fenders/ gibsons/ ricks I've had. I probably couldn't pick them out in a mix or alone (unless they were modded with really different pickups and pre) and playability is pretty good.

11. Thanks for posting the pictures. I have a good feeling now that the bass I looked at is not authentic. 4 things that I question:
    1) The neck has a stripe down the back of it.
    2) There is not a truss-rod cover - it is filled in with a dark spot.
    3) The pickguard was not 3-ply.
    4) The knob (1 was missing) was not even close to being original.

I will continue my search for an Ibanez P-Copy. Thanks for all your help.

12. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Glad I could be of help... heres the original P ad by the way...

pbassad.

13. Does anyone know -Did the 2369B model come in anything other than white? All the research I have been able to dig up only shows that model being sold as a white bass.

Any help would be appreiciated.

14. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Interesting pickup spacing on that white PJ in the ad.

And surprising to think that anyone would "fake" an old Ibanez...!?!

15. I am wondering what other bassists feel about Ibanez Silver Series basses. Does anyone own one? How do they compare to earlier models of Ibanez copies?

16. challanger-1.

I bought this one new in 1977 for $335. I've modded it since then but I still have all the original parts. I wouldn't go over $400 for it, and it would have to be in good shape with a case at that. I love mine, it was my only bass for 20 or so years. And I've had guys come up and say "hey, I've got a 197x block neck Jazz just like... hey, that's not a Jazz, it's an Ibanez!!

17. It's good to know they stand the test of time. What serial # does your have? Did the Silver Series come out in mid 1977?

18. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Looks sweet, with the block inlays and all.

I have a jazz bass copy from the same period from Cimar, Ibanez' "Squier" brand, so to speak. Would love to know more about it, I bought it used 3 years ago. It plays well, and sounds better through the PA system than in the rehearsal room, for some reason.

Anyone know what year it could be from? I would guess between 1974 and 1978.. sorry if I'm hi-jacking the thread :ninja:

Attached Files:

19. Toaster- Is this model a Silver Series or a Challenger? What is the serial number to that bass?

20. Sorry for the delay... I'm at work but it's a Challenger. I'll get the serial number and post later.