1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any freeware to convert tab to bass clef?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Stealth57, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Stealth57

Stealth57

Aug 28, 2020
    NorCal
    I find it easier to jot down bass line ideas in tab but to add the finishing touches they should be converted to bass clef. Anyone know of any software (freeware) that would allow me to enter tab and have it auto convert to clef? I found a lot of software that goes the other way.

Thanks

Peter Torning likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    How would it know note length? In other words, how would it know if it needed to convert to a whole note, half note, dotted eight note, etc? How would it know when to put rests? There's all kinds of things involved in notation that's not necessarily "notes".

I don't see how it would work at all.

3. Stealth57

Stealth57

Aug 28, 2020
    NorCal
    Thanks. I run a software company so learning curve shouldn’t be an issue. :bookworm:

getbent and FatStringer52 like this.
  4. It has a note selector bar (including rests, dots, etc). So, for example, say you wanted to insert an A dotted quarter note you would select the quarter note icon and then the dot icon. Then on the Tab Staff you type a 5 on the E string and presto, you get the dotted A quarter note on the bass clef. Afterwards, if you didn't want the Tab Staff to show up on the final print, you can deselect it and end up with a final standard notation sheet. It can be a fairly time consuming process for those new to the program. But, once you get use to the program and learn the keyboard shortcuts it really is quite efficient.

tonym and Stealth57 like this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

I'll take your word for it. :D

Seems easier to simply write in notation.

6. I agree 100%.

However, when I want to convey specific fingerings for exercises, it really does come in quite handy.

BazzaBass and two fingers like this.
  7. abassman

abassman

Jan 19, 2013
    Canada
  8. Unmost

Unmost Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2020
    I agree on Guitar Pro. I advocate for free and open source software but this is really well spent money, and quiet cheap for what it's worth.

Tuxguitar is not a finished product, and I had a buggy experience with Musescore.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Semi Actuated, Obese Chess and jebmd like this.
  9. Eli_Kyiv

Eli_Kyiv

Apr 7, 2020
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I know that Cakewalk can show tabs of a track of a MIDI file. And it's free now.

10. Unmost

Unmost Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2020
    It's really a simple and straightforward process for someone like me whose last music theory class was in middle school a long, long time ago. I would be unable to produce a correct sheet of music without Guitar Pro.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    two fingers likes this.
  11. Unmost

Unmost Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2020
    A side note about Guitar Pro : it's a great notation tool but it's more than that. It's a composition tool. You can end up with both a PDF tab and sheet beautifully formatted, share an MP3 draft with drums, guitars, keys mixed in, etc. It's easier and more efficient than any DAW for the creation process.

Pulverizor and Eli_Kyiv like this.
  12. Guitar Pro for the win. Not free, but so versatile and well done it’s worth a look (and the cost, IMHO), and there may be a slight discount near the holidays, sign up for their notifications.

Tried Tux, and it is not nearly as smooth or well done... went to GP.

As a longtime Sonar user, I can say that although it does display tab from MIDI, it didn’t come to mind as the answer to your question—but try it out

Eli_Kyiv and Unmostraz like this.
  13. Avigdor

Avigdor

Aug 23, 2018
    Before paying, do look at the free musescore - it'll do all you seem to want to do.

14. Benjamin Earl

Benjamin Earl Commercial User

Dec 31, 2008
    Lake Hiawatha, NJ 07034
    Fretboard Visualization Author
    +1 Musescore

I’ve never done a deep dive looking for a TAB to music option, but I use Musescore a lot and it does this automatically. I chose it because it is free.

15. Eli_Kyiv

Eli_Kyiv

Apr 7, 2020
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Musescore is good for fast sheet music typing. It sucks at MIDI to notes conversion though. :(

16. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    They do make tab that has all the rhythm notated as well. If you pick up a copy of Bass Player mag (or if you have old copies of Bass Guitar kicking around), they often have a couple song transcriptions in tab with rhythms. It's a decent hybrid between plain ol' tab and traditional notation.

two fingers likes this.
  17. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    Another vote for guitar pro. A very powerful tool.

18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Interesting, I'll check out Guitar Pro. I write free hand on treble clef and whenever the heck I get around to it I move the bass lines to bass clef, sometimes never. In my rattling brain an A is an A, I'll transpose properly if it turns into something that I would share with other musicians. I've always written with pencil on 5 bar out of habit and backfilled the 4 bar in proper octave as an afterthought. My 2nd grade violin teacher would be proud. Don't tell my bass teachers.

jebmd likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021