Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any ideas?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by XlilmetalchickX, Jan 15, 2004.

1. XlilmetalchickX

XlilmetalchickX Guest

Jan 13, 2004
    Jersey
    so i'm sitting here bored outta my mind with my perdy-ful silver 5-string Ibanez sitting in my lap when i decided that i want to learn some new songs. i'm a very beginner bassist but i like to be challenged. i have to be able to clearly hear the bass in the song or i'll just give up. any ideas for me?

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    What model Ibanez 5-er? (I've got a purdy silver, well grey EDB605)

Make a list of tunes you can already play to give an idea what level you are at and what you like.

BTW - Welcome to TalkBass. :bassist: :bassist:

edit - never mind, you've already listed what you can play in your sig :D ...let me think and I'll get back to you.

3. Try out the Tascam DC-BT1 CD bass trainer. Pop a cd into it and plug in your bass. The trainer has a bass boost setting to bring out the bass track a little more. You can also cut the bass out, so you can play along your own part. It also allows you to slow down the song up to 50% without changing the pitch, so you can learn the chops and gradually speed it up as you learn.

It has some cheesy(IMO) built in effects like distortion,synth,chorus,ect.

They run 149.99 at most music shops.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  5. XlilmetalchickX

XlilmetalchickX Guest

Jan 13, 2004
    Jersey
    i dunno the model. i bought it used and they didnt tell me anything. something about soundgear, lol. i'v been told by my instructor and other bassists that have seen it thats its a great bass.

i put a list in my siggy.. hee hee

tankies for the welcome! i feel so.. welcomed, lol

thats awesome. i'm gonna have to talk to my mom or dad (or both, lol) about that.

~*~Francine~*~

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Your sig says you're playing a 12 bar blues? You should learn about 800 more different ways to play a 12 bar blues.
    A good "actual song" that I think is within a beginners reach is Money by Pink Floyd. It's not tough and the bass caries that song, it's very recognizable and it's something you can sing along with - and some people might be slightly impressed by the fact that your playing a traditional rock song and swinging in 7/4. Just don't blame me if you learn that song and then decide it's just another 12 bar blues ;)

7. XlilmetalchickX

XlilmetalchickX Guest

Jan 13, 2004
    Jersey
    anything a little different is something for now. i'm getting bored of playing the same things over and over again.

whoever's quote that is in your siggy has my initials, lol

~*~Francine~*~

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Hey, I don't know what your method for learning songs is, but you're about to get the best warning any noobie can get. DO NOT trust internet tabs. They are very often wrong and will lead you astray and deny you the opportunity to learn and improve by learning by ear. With that said, a couple of the easier/ heavier/ cool (IMO) songs that I know are Smells Like Teen Spirit or Come As You are by Nirvana or NIB by Black Sabbath… but I just checked your profile and I think there might be a generation gap so I'll stop suggesting songs. Okay, one more - if you like the Pink Panther song and stuff like that, try the arrangement of The Star Spangled Banner that is in the Tab archive (or better yet, learn it be ear) …and then get a distortion pedal and pretend you're Jimi Hendrix! :bassist:

Edit - the quote in my sig is from Frank Zappa.

9. XlilmetalchickX

XlilmetalchickX Guest

Jan 13, 2004
    Jersey
    i dont have much of a choice right now. i'v only been playing for a few weeks so i'm no where near ready to play by ear.

i'm trying to learn the pink floyd song... wow this is gonna have me busy for a while, lol. theres so many corrections on the tab i found but it has more stars than any of the others. so i have to play each correction AND the origional one and then find that part in the song and see which is right. here i go, lol.

i'm also gonna start looking up the other ones you gave me cause once i get this down i'm gonna wanna try something else. wish me luck :)

~*~Francine~*~

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I know that song so well that I could probably write the chart for the recorded version with my eyes closed. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about how to play that particular tune.

EDIT - I just checked the tab in the tab archive here at TB. Some of the fingerings that the tab suggests are wrong, but all the notes are right. It looks like all of the errors are in the guitar solo section - also the B should be hamered on from an open A most of the time in the guitar solo and the tabber missed that.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    "Kiss" by Prince, is a good one.

12. I can`t bolive no one post "Another one bites the dust" by Queen. A bass classic. Simple.
    the main riff consist of

A-G-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-G-E-A
    on the E String
    5-3-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-3-0-5
    I think that you can handle it...(it could be wrong.... but, you get my point)

Nirvana? I wonder who never played a Nirvana song and think "Wow, im the greatest bass player on earth... I can play In Bloom, wow!" Nirvana is full of easy basslines on cool songs....

Guns N Roses is another one....
    "Locomotive" Great and simple bass line
    "knockin on heavens door" Easy. Really easy...

The Beatles`s basslines are really simple and cool
    Also The Police(you should check out Walkin on the moon)But if you like Mudvayne... mmmm :meh:

Stone Temple Pilots are full of easy and great basslines(Plush, Creep, Meat Plow, Lady Picture show, Down(Dropped D:cool: , etc...)

Hope it`s usefull...Have fun!

Peace, Love and cool & easy songs!!!!!

Mike

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    "7 nation army - hate the song , love the bass in it"

Well, technically there isnt any bass in it.

14. If your ear is really not used to listening for bass lines, go buy a Primus CD -- almost all their songs have just drum, bass, and vocals.

When you feel like you've transcended 12 Bar Blues level, try Foreigner. There's a lot of good workouts for beginner players on any of their Greatest Hits-type compilations -- nice variety of speeds and techniques, and none of them are really insanely difficult.