1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Info about Korean Toby pro V???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaulyTones, Mar 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PaulyTones

PaulyTones

Mar 27, 2018
    I recently got my hands on a Korean Toby Pro V and I'm trying to learn more about it. I've learned that Gibson bought Tobias in 1990 and that the Toby's were built in the Korean Epiphone factory. I checked the serial number on the official Gibson Epiphone site and its telling me it was built in Dec 85 which must be a mistake.
    I have read that someone in the factory was taking odd bits home, finishing them and adding random serial numbers so that's my first concern although this is a through neck so less likely to be the case.
    I know the original owner who I believe purchased it new in 97 but I can't get any info from him because he borrowed the money (from me) to buy an original Tobias and had been passing it off as such since. It's taken a beating but I am enjoying this bass and thinking about possibly making some upgrades. Advice would be most welcome. Serial number 5120316.

2. PaulyTones

PaulyTones

Mar 27, 2018
    20180323_195403.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Built in the mid to late 90's in Korea and sold by Musicyo. Well made instruments. Weak preamps. Easily upgrade-able. Here's me playing the Deluxe version (jazz p/u's). I put a US Bartolini preamp in it. Opened it up!
    Ft7mXC0l.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I would say it's a 1995?