Any lefty turned righty bassists here? If so, please help.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Float on man, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Hi, I’m a lefty bassist with a lefty bass and been playing lefty for as most six months now. I’ve been thinking about fliping my nut and just playing right handed, but everytime I do play it righty, I just go back to being lefty again. Any tips for staying righty?

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Just play... MUSIC....in the most natural and comfortable way for you.

3. Rock Salad

Rock Salad

Jun 30, 2018
    Tulsa, Ok. USA
    No tips, but it does sound like you might be lefty unfortunately.
    However I would try asking in the DB (Talk Bass Double Bass) forums.

4. 928cat

928cat

Aug 6, 2018
    USA
    It seems like the best time to have started playing right handed would have been at the very beginning of your playing. Switching now would be taking on reversing all the brain, hand coordination that you spent 6 months ingraining. Is there a reason you want to do it other than better availability of basses?

Jhengsman likes this.
  5. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Sell your left-handed bass, get a right-handed bass, play it and Bob's your uncle.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

This. If you keep a lefty bass around it will always be easier to play it.

Do you remember how awkward you felt the first time you played bass ever? Welp, the first time you play right handed it's going to feel the same way.

7. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Ah wack, thanks though, wish I could, don't think I can, my parent don't allow me to sell stuff, and even when I play with a right handed bass, even if it's like a fodera, with like twenty knobs, I always somehow find a way to comfortably play it without messing with the knobs accidentally. Thanks for the suggestion but, every time I play right-handed I just hate it. Makes me want to just drop it. So I'm just gonna be left handed.

8. Float on man

Float on man

Mar 10, 2018
    Because my dominant hand I think is more dexterous the my non dominant so that would probably have a leg up than the other natural right handed players... probably.

9. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The only thing that I can think of is to play right handed and don't look back, but then you already have invested in a left handed bass.

I had a leg up a family friend who was my kindergarten teacher forced me to write right handed, when I played basketball I spent many hours working my right hand. The woodwinds, and piano I played while growing up did not make allowances for me being left handed however I never could get the knack of playing a drum set. And the tools of both my Army career and my latest, 25 year, job has required me to use my right. So when I was picking up a guitar for the first time I had the mindset that like with my sax and clarinet I would have to adjust to the tool.

10. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Bah! I play lefty and have for 20 yrs. If it feels right do it and forget what the rightys say. First off, a ton of basses available at all levels, second, NO ONE asks you to play their bass! Further, if there is something you want and cant find, ya figure out how to do it yourself. Your lefty so theres a good chance you have a potential for more than most as science has proven. Left is right, right is wrong.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021