1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any McCartney imitators in tribute bands out there?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by darkhorse9, May 3, 2010.

1. The Red and Blue albums are the greatest hits albums that came out in the 70's with them posing for the same picture at different times in their career... where they're looking down from the stairwell.

Red Album- 1962 to 1966
    Blue Album- 1967 to 1970

2. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
  3. KimblesNimble

KimblesNimble

Jan 10, 2008
    That was the only thing that came to mind, thanks.

4. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I have an ad hoc Wings tribute band that plays a few times a year. It's the most fun I can imagine. We don't restrict ourselves to just Wings songs, we do stuff from McCartney 1 & 2 and Ram as well, but no Beatles or later solo McCartney. We do stuff like "Rock Show", "Helen Wheels" "Let Me Roll It", "Venus And Mars"- I play "Ram On" on ukulele. The only thing is, I use my Hofner as I don't own a Ric. I always feel a little self conscious about that- like any real Wings fan would know that i should be playing a Ric. I'll get one someday.

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    corinpills,
    Lefty Rics are tuff to find.
    leftieskeith005-1.

6. darkhorse9

darkhorse9

Mar 28, 2010

Okay...you win. ...I'm officially drooling

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Hah, this one's my fave but I don't gig it anymore, it's worth too much $$. They only made 1000 of the Chris Squire Limited Edition, of which only a couple were left-handed.
    csnew.

8. darkhorse9

darkhorse9

Mar 28, 2010
    I've never even gotten to PLAY a Rick, let alone own one. How does the neck relate to, say a Fender Jazz in terms of thickness, length etc.

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    A jazz is thinner at the nut but gets very wide as you go up, a Ric doesn't widen as much.

10. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    For the detail oriented Macca wannabes out there:

Rick 4003 neck specs:
    Length 84.5 cm (33 1/4'')
    Neck Width at Nut 42.9 mm (1 11/16'')
    Neck Width at 12th Fret 54.0 mm (2 1/8'')
    Crown Radius 25.4 cm (10'')

Jazz bass is 1.5" at the nut, 34-inch scale. Neck shapes & radii vary, I do believe.

I had no trouble adapting to my 4001 back in 1972 -- switched between it and a 1.75" wide P bass neck. I seem to recall that the back of the Rick neck was somewhat flatter than the P's. I haven't played a 4003.

11. My old function band used to do a big beatles medley and did "I saw her standing there" as an encore number.

I got the bass lines pretty much note for note, and "I saw...." is VERY busy.

Thought I was doing really well to nail that, until i realised McCartney sang it as well as playing that bassline...

If your going for the authentic bit, that could be a challenge..

(was for me!!)

12. darkhorse9

darkhorse9

Mar 28, 2010
    The one that kills me is Nowhere Man. Singing a harmony like that while playing an alternating walking bass riff boggles the mind. I told my band mates, I can play it...or I can sing it...can't do both.

I don't struggle as much with I Saw Her Standing there since it's a somewhat repetitive bass line. I can play it without thibnking too much.

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Yep, both of those are fun.

14. Captain Bob

Captain Bob Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Nashville
    Has anyone spotted Ronn's capo'd (maybe 8th) fret in that one up-close stage shot?
    What tune would that be Ronn? Makes me think of that famous studio shot during Rubber Soul with Macca's 4001 sporting a capo.

Lastly, where did you find a large poster of that famous 'Dylan in the studio with the Jazz' picture. Is that a Fender promo?
    I recall there were some magazine type size adverts of that pic.

15. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Cap, I use the capo for "Tomorrow Never Knows", the bass has a C drone and some noodling on top of that, so I use the capo to hold the C. And after seeing a pic of Paul with a capo on his Ric I figured it was "Beatle-approved". LOL

We played an art museum opening somewhere a few years back and they had a display of photos of famous people, blown up and mounted on fiberboard. I told them I HAD to have that Dylan w/Fender Jazz photo, so they gave it to me. I remember it was a BITCH to finish out our travels and get it home without any damage.

16. Captain Bob

Captain Bob Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Nashville
    I was guessing it was that tune! Ever heard 801's live version? One of the better live albums from the 70's. Hopefully, this works....

A one of kind poster perhaps...nice!