Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any one know where to buy 810 Road Case?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Hi all, seeing as I finally made my mind up, and will be buying my amp sometime within the next few weeks or months, I want to protect my investment. Im getting an Ampeg 810 and an Ampeg SVT-Cl. I found ATA Road Case's on ebay for the Head, but im stumped where to find a case for the 810.

I would like something that the 810 can be perminitly cased in with a front cover to expose the speakers, and either a rear cover that comes off, or a small "door" with a hinge to expose the horn controls, and to run wires from the head into the cab. And the head, If someone can point me to a case for it, from a website besides ebay, just so I can check out other options, that'd be nice too.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You live in NY correct?

Hybrid Cases is what I use for everything. They can be found at www.hybridcases.com. SVT 810 cases start at $559. Also keep in mind that Hybrid is one of the most reasonably priced case companies around. And cases add weight.

3. I know they show up on ebay fairly frequently, thats all i can say to help, sorry

4. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Thanks for link, I also found this site from a search on TB.

http://www.affordable-cases.com/catalog/viewCatalog.html?styleId=2

Thats exactly what I want, but I just have a question about what the materials are, why some cases are more money than others. What materials are they made of? The material and casters/size of casters is what makes the price go up. Im not flying anywhere, so I just need something to protect the tolex from being ripped up.

Im gonna ask GC If they can get a case for me becuase I really dont like the idea of ripping my amp up. I know the sound doesn't change, but I just want to keep it in good condition. So yeah thanks for the links though.

Oh yeah, and how many of you find case's to be useful, or useless? I guess its from a weight to protection proportion?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The less expensive case affordable-cases.com has is 1/4 ply, same as the Hybrid cases one. Won't hold up in an airplane but is okay if you're just looking to protect your Tolex. And yes, Bigger casters usually make it easier to move, etc. with less effort.

However, I don't think protecting my Tolex would ever be worth $500 if you're not touring. Ampegs take a beating, the worst damage is generally a tear in the Tolex, and if worse comes to worse, you can re-Tolex it for a lot less than $500. Save your money, it just adds weight to an already rediculously heavy cab. Especially if you don't have roadies.

6. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Hmm, alright than, I think I'll see about just getting a case for my head. Speaking of witch, This will be my first Cab/Head experience, And im bringing out the big guns so I'll never need to upgrade in the future. So im going tube, I need some ground rules on tube amps so that I wont blow speakers out, explode the tubes the second I turn the amp on, or electricute myself. I plan on using a speakon wire to go from head to cab. Is this a better choice than a 1/4"? Any other helpful hints to make my amp and my life longer would be great.

Thanks

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The less expensive case affordable-cases.com has is 1/4 ply, same as the Hybrid cases one. Won't hold up in an airplane but is okay if you're just looking to protect your Tolex. And yes, Bigger casters usually make it easier to move, etc. with less effort.

However, I don't think protecting my Tolex would ever be worth $500 if you're not touring. Ampegs take a beating, the worst damage is generally a tear in the Tolex, and if worse comes to worse, you can re-Tolex it for a lot less than $500. Save your money, it just adds weight to an already rediculously heavy cab. Especially if you don't have roadies.

8. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    BUMP :bag:

9. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    I had a friend make a slip cover for my 8x10 out of $15 worth of black marine-grade vinyl. 50+ shows loading it in and out of a cube van and not one nick in the tolex so far.

10. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Ok well Im gonna get myself a slip cover for my 810 and a road case for my head. So that issue is taken care of. Now I just need tube guide lines and what not. I dont want to make a new thread, so im gonna change the topic I think.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Make a new thread, cuts down on confusion.

12. rldg!

rldg!

Nov 12, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    use a cardboard box,
    it works wonders

13. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Dude this thread is 3 years old.

14. rldg!

rldg!

Nov 12, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    hahahahahahhahaha

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The classics never die.

16. rldg!

rldg!

Nov 12, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    well, why not revive this thread?

where CAN you buy an 810 road case?

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Because you started a separate thread for the same topic as well?

18. Hi.

One reason I can think of not reviving old threads is that some of them are dead for a reason ;).
    And here I'm posting in one, silly me...

As for the cases, any and all decent case-maker will build You one. I's only the lowest brands that doesn't take orders, just offer the standard (POS) variety.

One thing with open front bass cab cases is the need for a tight fit and sturdy construction to prevent any rattles. This unfortunately means usually doubling the weight, hardly worth it IMHO.

A heavy plastic cover would be something to consider.

ATA-case style speaker boxes would be nice, but rather expensive and some might not like the looks of them ;).
    That's however the approach I'm going to take in the near future.

Regards
    Sam

19. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Your answer is already here.

20. The companys on ebay that make and sell the head cases also make and sell the 8x10 cases!!