Any one using the NS Design End Pin Stand?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Phil Smith, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I'd like to hear opinions of those that are using the End Pin Stand with their NS Design EUB's, especially if you also play DB. Are you able to get a similiar playing feel using the end pin stand?

2. gurzil

gurzil

Jul 24, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I used to play normal DB, then after a long break wanted to come back to playing upright via an NS bass. I got the endpin in the first month or so, and after a small adjustment period, I only play using the monopod/end pin. Being able to move the bass with me makes a big difference in left hand comfort and fatigue. It also affects/helps playing arco. Your body moves slightly when playing, along with your arm, and with the end pin the bass moves with you.

I can't make a direct comparison because I only play eub now, but the end pin seems to have made a big difference for me, having come from a DB background, and using the NS for mostly arco.

3. MikePlaysBass

MikePlaysBass

Oct 3, 2011
    I know it's been around 8 years, but I couldn't find any recent threads on the NSD endpin, so Here goes. I'll guess I'll look for the next reply somewhere around 2024. ;)

I just picked up a CR5M, so it came with the beefy stand. Playing on the stand was fine, but I found an endpin for sale used, so figured I'd give it a try. The first day I tried it I really wasn't impressed and figured I could always sell it for what I paid for it. I did try it again, though, and I'm glad I did. It took some adjusting to find the right placement for the body brace, but then it all came together. The bass would stand balanced just like an acoustic upright does. Hand placement was natural at the set distance and it was easier to play than being fixed on the stand, especially for doing vibrato. It was also nice being able to move and not be locked into the stand position. So, I ordered the (not inexpensive from any source) conversion kit that will allow me to set the bass in the stand when not playing and still have the option to play it in the stand if I wanted to.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Randy Ward likes this.
  4. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Not trying to hijack this high volume thread!

But in a very similar context, any of you guys using the "strap system" and playing it like an EB?

Own one ( both actually, like an idiot on the strap), but never had the guts to try to use it :)

5. bodollar

bodollar Supporting Member

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    I use the end pin stand with my CR4, allows you to turn and move the bass some what like a DB. It does take some time getting the stand adjusted and finding the right set up for playing.

6. MikePlaysBass

MikePlaysBass

Oct 3, 2011
    Wow, responses so many years sooner than I anticipated...

I did go ahead and get the endpin conversion kit. Johnson String Co. had it for $70 + tax & free shipping. Everywhere else they were $80 and up. Yeah, it's pricey, but nowhere near what repairs for a bass falling on a hard floor could cost.

Anyway, it really works great. It has just enough friction and leans back enough that placing the bass in and out is quick, easy, and secure. It has a knob that can be tightened to lock it in there when you're on break or whatever, but plenty secure without it for regular use. The endpin without this is awkward. Either you lean it in a corner somewhere, lay it down on the floor, or swap out the endpin for the stand when not using it. None of those are good options. You can't find a corner when you need one; unlike a full upright lying down it would be way too easy to step on or trip over this; and I swap off on EB, so swapping to and from the stand really wouldn't work for me, though if this is your only instrument that may work for you. In any case you'd probably eventually figure it was worth the $70+ bucks if you already have the heavy duty CR stand. If you have the EXT or WAV stand, then building your own holder might be worth considering since your looking at over $300 for both the conversion kit and then CR stand after already paying $175 or so for the endpin.

As for the strap system, I don't see the point. The horizontal hand positions won't give you anything resembling an upright sound and unless you have arms like an orangutan, that's a very long stretch to the nut. I play a 35" scale and a lot of people think even that's too long for them compared to a 34"

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Wow this thread has gotten some traction! I purchased the end pin stand back then but it just didn't work for me no matter where I put it and so I sold the bass and the stand and picked up a Yamaha Silent bass which I still have and use. The Yamaha to me has the correct ergonomics and allows me to jump right on it without too much adjustment of technique.

8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    The strap systems for the NS basses still allow you to position the bass vertically.

9. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    So I've been trying to find videos or pictures of the endipin in action to get an idea if it's worth it. Anyone know fo any?

10. Nope, that should be a red flag. Also, the strap is too narrow and it can't be tightened enough to stay in place in a "real gig" circumstance. The ergonomics of the NS Design EUB do not account for our posture as upright bassists. I sold mine a couple years ago.

11. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    I used to play and NS wav4 with the end pin stand with some degree of frequency. It worked pretty well for me and I liked it way more than the tripod. I never really got done with the tone of the instrument or the lack of a neck heel, however.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021 at 6:05 PM
  12. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Yea, I see they sell a neck thumbstop you can stick on it, but it's VERY expensive...
    Bass Thumbstop Neck Heel Rest | NS Design

HateyMcAmp and nbsipics like this.
  13. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    I may be mistaken but I was told that that the neck heel rest only works with the higher end CR basses and won’t fit the WAVs neck profile.

14. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I have a CR5M and I would not put that $95 thumb rest on it.

Stickers? Well I had to tell my kids no way...

15. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    I actually found in the house a sheet of adhesive small red gem-like plastic pieces and stuck a few of them on in a line where the base of the neck would be so I could feel where that is. It actually works well. I had tried ordering stick-on ukulele thumb rest but unfortunately they were rigid so it didn't work with the round neck. It looked promising though....
    U•Bass Thumbrests - Kala Brand Music Co.

THBRT-UBASS_1024x.png

nbsipics likes this.
  16. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Sadly no, but few post a YT video about an accessory.

I've had the endpin attachment about as long as I've had my CR-5M (~12yr?) and I enjoy it. I don't use it a lot, as I usually play it in a seated position, much like a cello. But for standing, it works very well. You still have to get used to no neck heel for a point of reference, but since I double on electric bass a lot (that has no reference points), I adapted.

joenoone likes this.
  17. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    I was wondering about the part that leans against you - where does that land (vertically/horizontally)? Doesn't seem wide enough for the waist so is it positioned to the left of center?

18. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Fully adjustable, so it sits where you want it to. It takes a bit to dial it in, but I had it hitting me just above the waist. When both of the arms are extended, it's around 16" wide so it's certainly big enough.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021