1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any opinions on the Warwick Hellborg Mono 250 Poweramp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plastalmonus, Mar 1, 2018.

1. A Warwick Hellborg Poweramp 250 Mono has come up for sale and I was considering getting it to run a Verellen Preamp into.

Any opinions? I have heard that it puts out a lot of volume considering the 250 watts. Has anybody used one that can testify to this?

I've used an Orange A/B 300 watt amp before and it seemed to put out a lot of volume. Is this a similar topology?

My other option is to spend twice as much and grab a V4B. Same weight but 100 watts of tube should make the Verellen sound good :)

Attached Files:

2. I would love to try one too. The specs and design philosophy seem ideal. I think the Helborg stuff is a bit of a hard sell in the class D world we live in now though, resale might be difficult.

3. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I have heard very complimentary things about the Hellborg line. Based on the design philosophy, I would expect the amp to cleanly punch way above the wattage rating for many decades to come.

4. lexefx

lexefx picky?? Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Grayslake IL
    I have the Stereo 250 - basically 1 chassis containing two separate 250 monos. Their presence is alot more present than what they are rated for, if that makes sense. I am a Hellborg player - some people say that just as much power can be produced class D for a fraction of the weight. The transformers are MASSIVE in these amps, and they sound like it. Worth a few more reps at the gym for me.