1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any person recording with Windows 2003

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by steve_man, Apr 10, 2006.

1. steve_man

steve_man Supporting Member

May 15, 2002
    After just buying a new Mackie Spike I'm very dissappointed to find out that the software doesn't work with Windows 2003.

:bawl:

So I don't face the same dissapointment in the future, does any person know of any unit that is being sold with ASIO drivers and other software that are supported by Windows 2003. I'm a programmer and Windows 2003 is important to my work and I'm not about to go with Windows XP.

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Dumb question: why do you need Windows 2003 as a programmer? I thought it was a server OS.
    As far as I know, lots of software doesn't work with Windows 2003 because it isn't really an operating system for the average customer.

3. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Dual booting system with a 2nd hard drive or partition running Windows XP.

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    You're going to have an amazingly hard time finding recording hardware that works with Windows 2003, because the market share of musicians using 2003 is probably less than 1/100,000,000 %. You'd probably spend less time writing your own drivers than searching for existing ones, IMO.

Go windows XP, and your options open up significantly. If you hate XP that much, than go with a dual-boot as suggested below. You're better off recording music on a hard drive unused for anything besides music, anyway.

5. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    another on the dual boot.

A better option would be to find a Windows 2003 Hoster. Got to be cheaper in the long run.

6. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Thanks for your input.

No I'm not going to go for a dual boot. You get way less performance out of your harddrive (I know a few professionals who are doing this and they should be getting way more speed but the partitioned harddrive is the bottle neck).

The reason why I wanted to stay with Windows 2003 is mainly because of IIS 6. It's also a much nicer for administration. Finally when dealing with software that you will be posting to servers (most likely running windows 2000 or 2003), it's nice to know that you got the program working in that environment.

But I have been looking around for hardware that supports windows 2000 or windows 2003, and like mentioned there is few and far in between. So I have a copy of WinXP Pro so I'm going to be formatting my computer and keeping the Mackie Spike.

After looking around at other interfaces and software I'm pretty confident that the mackie spike is for me.

Thanks again,
    Steve

7. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    If you dont want to partition your drive for dual boot, how about buying an extra hard drive and install windows XP on that one?

8. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I've thought about it ... but I'm just going to go to Windows XP Pro for now. It is an option that I might put off in the near future though. Thanks.