Any thoughts on MTD Kingston Z4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronin614, Jul 25, 2018.

1. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    Anyone who owns an MTD Kingston Z, I’d love to know your impressions.

Are you happy with it overall? Build quality? Versatility? Tone? Weight?
    And anything else that may be relevant.

Thanks

Back2Bassic and Fngparas like this.
  2. Fngparas

Fngparas

May 18, 2016
    I love mine. It’s made well, plays great and sounds great. Good value.

Back2Bassic and ronin614 like this.
  3. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    Thanks for the response.

I’ve found a used one in really good shape for what I consider a really good price and I’m giving serious thought to buying it.

How is the weight? That’s one of my biggest concerns, due to ongoing shoulder issues (already had one surgery within the last 8 months, and think I’m headed for number two in the very near future).

I really like what I know about them, and the company overall. I called MTD a few years ago to ask a question about them, and a guy named Mike answered the phone. He spent literally 15 to 20 minutes discussing them with me, and said if I had any other questions, to feel free to call back. As I was hanging up, I found out that it was Mike Tobias. Now THAT’s customer service!

Fngparas likes this.
  4. Fngparas

Fngparas

May 18, 2016
    Mine weighs 10 lbs. You wouldn’t think it because it’s very streamline. I have instruments that look as heavy as they are. MTDs are great.

Back2Bassic likes this.
  5. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    10 pounds? Really?!? Unfortunately, that’s a deal breaker for me. There’s no way my shoulder will tolerate that. Thanks for letting me know.

Fngparas likes this.
  6. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    My MTD is around 8 ish pounds. It is a top quality bass. I have Alembic and other high quality boutique basses, and the MTD hangs with the best of em. The pickups my be their only weaker spot. The fully shielded cavity makes for a dead quiet instrument.

Back2Bassic and Fngparas like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021