1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Thoughts on Wizzy 10 vs. Wizzy 12?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jgbass, Jul 22, 2007.

1. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I have a GK Microbass head, runs 4 or 8 ohm. Satisfied with the sound and the head, but not happy lugging around Neo 112 speaker although its a great speaker too. From what I have read here and on Bob Gollihur's site, am seriously considering a Wizzy. Just not convinced the 10 could handle it for jazz quartet DB gigs, but maybe it can.

Is anyone else here making these kinds of decisions, and/or experience with comparing the Wizzies?

2. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    From what I remember about the GK Neo 112, it felt heavy and bulky to me. I also recall it being hard to carry. Although there's only a few pounds difference in published weight specs, the EA Wizzy M feels relatively light and is compact and not bulky at all. Best of all is the sound; The Wizzy M is truly amazing there. You will also notice the 5 dB difference in sensitivity between the Neo112 and the Wizzy M (GK 98 dB / EA 103 dB -- both with 1 watt @ 1 meter), which is a very significant difference. The Wizzy M is also a 4 ohm cab, and this all adds up to much more headroom than you have now. I'd highly recommend the Wizzy M on it's terrific sound and performance, although it may not be enough lighter and more compact for your needs.

3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Anybody near Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill have a Wizzy 10 yet? I'd be willing to try and meet and compare / contrast the new 10 vs. my M-line 12.

4. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Thanks Rob! Yes, it is more the bulkiness I do not like with the GK112. I, well, just cannot seem to get a handle on it. :) to get it into the back of my hatchback. Thanks for the info.

I did email Bob Gollihur also to get some info on his comments about the new WIzzy 12s being a little lighter. Wizzy for me. Seems like a quality product.

5. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    I own a Wizzy 10 and a Wizzy 12 (not M-line). I have been using the 10 for the last few weeks on a number of gigs and I haven't had any trouble getting the volume I need. Many of these gigs have been quartets. I also use it at a jam session and even when there have been 3 horns and a guitar on stage it cuts through fine.

I do think the 12 is noticeably louder, or seems that way, in spite of the only 1db difference in sensitivity. The 12 seems to have a somewhat warmer sound with more low-mids. Maybe I am just used to the warmer sound of the 12 and I have been turning the volume up higher on the 10 to try to compensate.

6. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Thanks Michael. Great information!

7. I can vouch for the Wizzy 10. I recently moved from a 210 cabinet to the 10 and I love it. For DB, EUB or slab, its great for the mostly jazz and musical theatre gigs I play. I love the soundstage and accuracy, not to mention the 16.5 pounds. I am going to order a second for big band work and outdoor gigs where I need to move more air.

8. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    That's awesome! These are the kinds of gigs I am doing, and the fact that you went from a 210 to the Wizzy 10 says a lot. I still have my larger rig for things like big band. cover bands. I haven't even tried it out yet, but I think I am sold on this, based on all the positive reviews.