Any Traynor YBA-3A owners out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pbman, May 28, 2004.

1. Pbman

Jul 23, 2001
    Boston Area
    Just got the amp today and was wondering on where the amp gets loud on yours. I'm used to a 3-4 on a 1-10 type dial, being loud. This amp ,although very clean, doesn't start happening until around 8-9 on the dial. I'm talking a moderate volume not earsplittin'. Enough to keep up with a drummer & guitar player. Think Blues & Classic Rock

The tubes seem to be ok but I need some other owners input.

This is the SUPER Custom Special version.
  2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    What speakers are you using? Are you running it at 8 or 4 ohms?

Also, if you don't know when was the last time it was gone over by a tech, I'd take it to someone to check out if you're not comfortable to do it yourself. Those heads are wicked loud when in working condition. You should check out the new YBA 200, the new millenium version of this head.
  3. Get it checked out. That amp ought to be near SVT loud. Something's wrong somewhere.
  4. Pbman

Jul 23, 2001
    Boston Area
    It's loud BUT only on the upper half of the dial.From 7-10
  5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Replace the 4 x 6L6 power tubes, and you'll see a huge difference. I did.

6. Pbman

Jul 23, 2001
    Boston Area

I think I have the older version. One volume and spark plug tube wires. I think it's a 6kg6? Someone else told me that the volume on this amp doesn't start to really happen until later in the dial
  7. I've played a Super Custom Special. It's supposed to be LOUD starting at 11 o'clock. It's a 240 watt tube amp. You shouldn't be having any problems. The YBA-3A is high powered and uses four 6KG6 tubes, not to be confused with the more common YBA-3 which uses four 6CA7/EL34 for 130 watts. There are also versions that use four 6L6GC/7027s for 100 watts. The problem could be as simple as a dirty pot. You obviously have a concern or you wouldn't have posted about it. Get it checked out.
  8. I would love th find a "3A" but I would imagine that those 6KG6's would be pretty hard to find. Are they a transmitter tube type?
  9. Actually 6KG6's are some of the few tubes where new production is better than most of the NOS examples you'll find, and they're cheap. They're a sweep tube that was used in old televisions. They're also called EL509's.