1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody else here into lightsabers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jay Mastro, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Jay Mastro

Jay Mastro

Jun 23, 2014
    New York
    I know I sure am, anybody else? I'm a huge Star Wars fan and I plan on buying my first quality, duel worthy custom saber soon, anybody else a bassist/saber enthusiast?

2. I had one, but it was taken away because I kept hitting my sisters with it.

:atoz:

bassbully likes this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Are the "good ones" nowadays any better than the telescoping, very expensive plastic toys that came out during the prequels?

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Totally into the concept of lightsabers, totally not into owning a fake one.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I had one back in '79 or so. It was a hollow telescoping thing with a flashlight on one end. Once I found out my HotWheels cars fit in the end it was all over. I was visiting my parents' house Wednesday and there is still the faint shape of four wheels and an Indy car body shape in the wall above the closet in the room my brother and I shared growing up. You could fling a car at about 400 feet per second using that thing!

6. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm sort of into lightsabers. I study and teach a style of Japanese swordsmanship.
    when the prequels first came out, a bunch of folks at the dojo had lightsabers that lit up, made swooshing noises
    when you swung them around, and made zapping noises when they made contact with another one.
    Mind you, we were all in our 20's, 30's, and 40's.

After class, we turned off the lights and practiced with the lightsabers. It was fun.

Luke19Boarder likes this.
  7. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Can you carve the turkey at Thanksgiving with it? If no, what's the point?

When I was single again I got rid of all my child like things for I wanted to get some if you know what I mean. If I had that in my room, she would call me one of the characters from the Big Bang Theory.

sissy kathy likes this.
  8. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I have 3 of them. Strictly used as conversation pieces/decoration.

9. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    5083747716_6b1a7475a1.

tumblr_inline_mwlafmAGOh1qa646f.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yup. Own a handful of Ultras, and almost ordered one from SaberForge, but a friend of mine had serious issues with a simple order from them, so I avoid them now. Sometimes spar with them, but not too much - I more enjoy sparring with swords. But it's cool to break them out every now and again and have at it :)

Jay Mastro likes this.
  11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

My wife has a story from back before we were married, when she (briefly) worked in a comic book store.

Dad comes in with his little son, maybe 10 years old. "Hi, do you have any light sabers?"

Store clerk: "Sure, on the wall over there." Points Dad and Son to display of flashlight-with-plastic-tube toys.

Dad and Son go over to display and peer at the offerings. After a few minutes they come back to the counter. "Sorry, we're not finding what we wanted over there. Do you have any AUTHENTIC light sabers?"

Clerk: "Oh, sure, no problem. We have some movie prop replicas in this display case behind the counter." Opens up case, brings out some impressively-crafted movie prop sabers (sans plastic light up tubes).

Dad and Son pick them up, turn them over, scrutinize them, push and pull and poke at the buttons, then put them down again. Dad is starting to get visibly agitated.

"No, I don't think you understand. We're here to buy the REAL ones."

"Well sir, these are about as real as you can-"

"No, you know, REAL ones. That CUT things. Where do we get those?"

12. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Please tell me you are joking.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  13. hrodbert696

True story. Ask the Mrs.

14. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    And to think the people in my career that I encounter are dumb that is so much worse.

Just to give you an example. A customer calls and says they can't get on the internet. So the guy has him do this and that. Then finally tells him to reboot his modem. The guy replies he needs to grab a flashlight first. Our guy asks why. The guy replies "Because the power is out".

See what I mean?

ONYX and hrodbert696 like this.
  15. hrodbert696

Love it.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have said it for years. We should all have to pass a quiz before we leave the house. A keypad by the door that asks you a few logic questions. Only when you answer correctly will your door unlock. That way we never have to deal with the really stupid people, and those who are usually pretty smart but having a dumb day can take a time out so we don't have to deal with them either. The standards would have to be set fairly low because somebody has to make coffee and fries for the rest of us. :D

(Relax. I realize some very smart, hard-working, people make fries and coffee. We're all just having fun here.)

hrodbert696 likes this.
  17. aA1rg5Z_460s.

18. Jay Mastro

Jay Mastro

Jun 23, 2014
    New York
    Oh man, it's a whole new game, I just discovered all this like a month ago, small companies have been machining accurate replicas that look beautiful, people rip audio from the films, animated series, games, to have accurate sounds

What the sabers can do:

What you can do:

19. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I'd get one if I had extra pocket change like that lying around. I'll have to admire from afar.

Jay Mastro likes this.
  20. Waiting for the real thing.