Anybody not like their Mesa Walkabout Scout?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steamthief, Jan 23, 2009.

1. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I played one and liked it. A lot, even though it was abused at a local GC. I'm seriously considering ditching my head/cab to get one.

Anybody out there buy a Scout, then got rid of it because you didn't like it long-term? If that's you, please digress on the specifics!

2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I definitely do not, "not like", my Walkabout. So, I will not digress. Many posts here (as you no doubt already know) on the goodness of the Walkabout for those who like its tone and character.

from reading TB posts on this subject, my take on the "not likes" are:

- players who do not want a tube in the signal path
    - players who want a top end loaded sound
    - players who need more volume than any 300w amp can reasonably provide
    - players who are seeking a very low bass shy (some would say "tight" low end tone)
    - metal players are probably not digging the Walkabout too much (no insult intended to headbangers)

get the Walkabout, you won't regret it

3. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Yes, I've done my homework here through searching, and your reviews and experiences have been very helpful - thank you. Would you buy one used through a non-tb channel?

4. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The only thing I don't like about mine-sometimes-is that I wish the horn were of a little brighter variety.

But, if "modern" is your thing, that really ain't the walkabout's dealio, and I have other cabs that do that...so...non-issue for me.

Just sayin'...might be a concern for some.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hoping this isn't actually a hijack- Are any of you using just the Walkabout cab with a different head?

6. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Bongo:
    Yessir. I liked the Walkabout head from my Scout with other cabs so much that I bought a second one.
    It ain't that hard to pull the head out of the Scout, but one popped up (with the mesa headcase) one day when my paypal account had the funds to cover it. Game over.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Isn't the fan kinda loud? It was on the one I tried.
    Nice tone though. Very tempting, but my GB is way lighter and easier to move. Also sounds darn good - for no tubes.

8. I had the Walkabout scout. Ended up selling the 1x12 scout cab, keeping the Walkabout head and now use it with a Mesa Powerhouse 2x10. Something about that cab seemed tubby rather than tight. Probably just me though. I love the Walkabout with the 2x10. Creamy.

9. glink

glink

Feb 16, 2007
    On a side note, I'm wondering if anyone knows what if any changes have been made to the scout since it's introduction. Is a 2006 for example basically the same as a 2009?

10. glink

glink

Feb 16, 2007
    bump

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Bongo was asking about the opposite case though Alan.;)

12. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Thx Charlie! :D

Yeah I was inquiring about the cab with other heads. I happen to like the wooly, bass-heavy, not-so-bright tone that people ascribe to the Scout cab, so I wanted to see how those qualities translated with something like a LMKII or Shuttle etc. in there.

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I might like that cab better with one of those amps, seems well worth a try. My buddy's got stolen in Portland, otherwise I would've helped make it happen...

Anyhow, I'm not bagging on the Scout at all. Just not the right piece for my current needs, but there are many things I'd happily use it for if those needs change. ;)

14. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    I used to use the walkabout cab with a Thunderfunk 550 and it was pretty nice!! It really shines through with another 112 or 115 extension, only problem was getting a female-to-male 1/4" to reach.

As for the OP, walkabout is a very portable and lovable little amp that sounds great! hadn't really ran across many issues at all with it, aside from not having as much headroom n power as i wanted, so i got rid of it. but overall, very nice!!!

15. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    the only thing i don't like about the walkabout is that its not in my arsenal :(

16. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Bongo: sorry...never done it that way.

17. I love my WA Scout.... I use it a lot. Rehearsals, smaller gigs...

The 'older' models have two inputs, while the 'newer' models have a single input with an 'active/passive' switch.

Whilst you can hear the fan, I've never noticed it at a gig even when playing acoustic gigs in tiny rooms.

If I had to pick faults, it would be the usual stuff. DI is only post-EQ (and, bizarrely, post-output gain). Despite it's small size, it's not easy to carry thanks to it's single strap-handle on the top. (I can only imagine what the WA115 must be like to carry!).

It can sound 'flubby' when placed on a deep-pile carpet - presumably due to the downward-firing radiator being choked up.

These are relatively minor points, though. It's an incredible bit of kit.

18. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Thanks for the input, guys. For my applications, the negatives mentioned so far are nowhere close to being deal killers.

To those with the player control network, is it something you use regularly? Is it essential, in your opinion, or really not necessary?

19. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    necessary ? no ... useful? heck yes.

I use my 4ohm Walkabout 12 mostly by itself. But on 20-30% of my gigs I combine it with a 4ohm Scout 15 ext cab. I'd say that the user adjustable crossover and tweet control is somewhat useful with the Walkabout 12 working as a standalone. I basically just set the control to 5k "full" and cut the tweet -1db. My Jazz basses are very happy with than setting. Plenty of old school thump, with plenty of presence to be heard in a band mix.

BUT, when adding the other Scout cab to the mix, you can do some mighty nice things with it. For example, when I stack mine, I set the Scout 15 to the "full" 5k crossover setting and roll the tweet off -1db, I set the Scout 12 to the 3k setting, and push the tweet +1db. So, really the 15 gets a full range of the amp output and has the tweet related highs cut a bit, and the 12 gets more of a low-mids/mids flavor plus a slight push in the highs from the tweet. IME, and to my ears, it's a very nice, and noticeably useful control set to have at your disposal.

I have also used my Scout 12 and Scout 15 cabs with other amps. 78 Fender Bassman 100, TE V-type 600h, Mesa Buster 200, Mesa 2-90 power amp.

I liked the Scout cabs with the Bassman 100, they seemed to fit well together tonally. Lower powered amp that is not voiced too bass heavy were probably the best matching points here.

The Trace sounded ok with these cabs, but I ultimately decided that I just did not like the hybrid 600 tone in general so I sold it.

The Buster sounded good through these cabs, particularly with the lows under control. Very punchy and tight. Also sold the Buster for other reasons.

The Mesa 2-90 sounded GREAT through the Scout cabs. I ran one cab on each of the outs, and used the amp without a pre-amp in it's stand-alone mode. This amp was just a loaner for me, but it sounded very good to my ears. it was a little bit of a goofy set-up with the 2 outs and all, not very giggable in my mind, but still .. very nice tube sound.

As far as buying a used Walkabout, if I could try it to make sure it worked, I would have no reluctance buying used Mesa stuff. Mesa gear is typically built for the long haul and hold up really well over time. Mesa also has a very solid 5 year, user transferable warranty, so that helps the confidence as well.

good luck

20. The deep pile carpet problem is an easy fix. I found that out when I started playing in my practice room(deep carpet). You just simply need to place any piece of wood or metal underneath the scout and it sounds fine.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021