1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody still making wooden knobs?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by decuchi2334, Mar 4, 2008.

1. decuchi2334

decuchi2334

Feb 4, 2008
    I need a set of wooden knobs for a project. It's a Mary Kaye white Jazz over ash. I'm looking for some knobs with good grain that I can spray with the same finish. Thinking of matching the headstock as well. Any tips or suggestions to make the grain "pop" on a maple headstock would be appreciated. I don't have a camera, but I'll try and post some pics later.

Attached Files:

2. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    They have a decent selection on ebay.

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    funny I just made my first 4 today...t

4. decuchi2334

decuchi2334

Feb 4, 2008
    How'd they turn out?

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Well pretty cool so far. I just have one coat of Watco oil on them so they aren't shiny yet. Very simple and basic. The bass is Mahogany with a Quilted top and so are the knobs but I put a black position dot on the knobs. The black knob is just there for comparison.

6. decuchi2334

decuchi2334

Feb 4, 2008
    Those look good! That's what I'm looking for. Simple, but with a bold grain, so it will match the finish. I haven't seen any ash knobs on ebay or anything. I did see some zebrawood knobs, which might work.

7. Try David King...he's making some awesome custom knobs..

8. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
  9. SDH

SDH

Mar 3, 2008
    Also check Antique Electronic Supply. They have an assortment of wood radio knobs for standard shafts. http://www.tubesandmore.com

10. decuchi2334

decuchi2334

Feb 4, 2008
    Thanks guys.

11. What was that company making super high expensive knobs?

12. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    +1 to THG. amazing quality, great people, and they can make you whatever you want (within reason, of course).
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

13. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    Nope. I can't remember who they were, but THG certainly doesn't charge $500 per pair of knobs.

14. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    He probably does mean THG. Although they are not $500 a pair, they are close to over $20 per knob for simple designs....and that ain't cheap :meh:they get more costly for stacked knobs and extra veneers and such. If youv'e got the money though, I'd say that their product is deffinitely worth it; these guys go out of their way to find just the right shade and grain for your project knob.

15. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida

Make a few from scratch spend the time making then finishing them and you will wonder how they do it so cheap.....t

16. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    no thanks...I'll just enjoy the product thank you :smug::D