1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody using lightweight class D heads with big, heavy, old school(ish) cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DogsNbeer, Apr 9, 2021.

1. DogsNbeer

DogsNbeer Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2020
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just wondering if it’s a thing. I’ve been using my Traynor SB500h in various combinations with my 3 Bergantino cabs, 2 NV212s(alone and in tandem) and an NV215. I’ve really been enjoying the pairings. And because of TB generated GAS (probably only worsened by the server outage) I just pulled the trigger on a Tone Hammer 700 which will also see use with the aforementioned cabs.
    I’m wondering if I’m unique in this approach. Here on TB most people seem to automatically pair their lightweight head with a lightweight cab, or two.
    A small part of my thinking is that cabs are easier to move around in general as they usually just rest on the stage( I generally don’t stack) While the heads go on top and lifting a heavy head onto a 215 ain’t easy( esp my Classic 400). But mostly I just love my cabs and they make most any decent head sound good

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  2. steelbed45

steelbed45 33 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I have a Glockenklang Streamhammer that I use with 2 of their Duo 2x10 cabs that are around 50 lbs. each. What can I say? The cabs sound great. I get it. :thumbsup:

Helge_Glock, spatters and DogsNbeer like this.
  3. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Opposite Day for me. I put a Super Bassman 300 on top of a Berg CN212.

4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I used a Hartke 8x10 at a rehearsal studio with my Mesa WD800 and it was awesome.

5. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    I have used my Tone Hammer 500 with an Ampeg Heritage SVT410HLF and it was great!

I am, however, planning to sell the Heritage, and I just received the Aguilar SL212 that will most likely take its place as my church rig.

PockySteve, dbase, spatters and 2 others like this.
  6. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I have a Tech21 VT500 head with a Hartke 810 and 410.

Sounds sick with both cabs.

7. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I use a Ampeg PF500 with an old Sunn Sorado loaded with 2x15 EVM's. It sounds great.

PockySteve and spatters like this.
  8. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

Jan 14, 2012
    I have a Ampeg SVT7pro with SVT 810

spatters likes this.
  9. spatters

spatters

Mar 25, 2002
    Ashdown RM through a ported 4x10 from before the days of Neos.
    100 pounds of tone!

As the car guys say, "There's no replacement for displacement." A Class D head can fully substitute for a lead sled, but a tiny 1x12 or 2x10 doesn't sound like a 2x15, or even a big ported 4x10.

Maybe someday fEARfuls or Barefaceds won't cost more than I paid for all my basses and my amp head combined, and I'll get to try one. But for now, I'm strong and healthy and it's got casters anyway.

johnnynitro and BassBuzzRS like this.
  10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I've had Aguilar GS212 cabinets and a Tonehammer as my main rig for a couple of years. Those were new, but around 70lbs each, while the Tonehammer weighs nothing.

I bought the rig before Aguilar did the SL line and because I wanted a full stack where every piece sports the same logo.

It was fine. I could not complain - the sound was glorious and the volume was capable of lifting the roof.

Those cabs have been retired to take a more TB approach on things, namely barefaced cabinets.
    I lost around a hundred pounds' weight, but kept the tone and the volume.

11. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I connected my Mesa WD800 to my SVT 810 cab just before I sold the 810.

It had a unique and very cool tone. It was thunderous! But not very SVT-ish. I thought about gigging with it for a bit.

But I never did. And sold the SVT rig shortly afterwards. Very happy with my WD and my pair of Subway 115s.

MAXSPINRUN and dbase like this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would rather save 60 pounds on a cab than 10 on a head, but yeah, I've tossed a class D head on a big cab.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  13. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    My "main" rig at the moment is a ShuttleMax 9.2 and 2 Uber Quads. The Ubers are not the heaviest cabs ever, but they each weigh about as much an older 1x15 (but perform closer to an old 4x10).

I also used to have a GK NEO 412, which is light for a 4x12, but still almost a 100 lb cab. The SM 9.2 paired great with it, because the GK is like a blank slate, and the dual parametric mids and dual blendable channels on the SM make for a lot of sound possibilities.

14. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Yep. GB Shuttle 9.0 and GB Focus 410. For something larger outdoors, I have another identical 410 from our rehearsal studio I can add. When I provided backline even the guy in the Sabbath tribute band loved this rig. Old school cabinet voice and tons of headroom. Enough EQ for more modern tones if needed.

spatters and DogsNbeer like this.
  15. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I use the Darkglass Microtubes V2 500 with my Ampeg 2x12. It’s glorious

DogsNbeer likes this.
  16. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Kinda, sorta. My mid sized rig consists of a pf800 and Bassman 2x12. But the 2x12 has been fitted w/ Deltalite speakers so it weighs in at a svelte 45lbs.
    thumb_IMG_0642_1024.jpg

17. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Funny you mentioned it sounded sick .. The rehearsal studio had an Ampeg b2r with a Hartke 8x10 box. We are a loud band and I though I blew a speaker it was farting so much. I changed the head and used my WD800 and it kicked serious ass.. no more buzzing, I was impressed but not enough to lug an 8x10 around .. I'll stick to my Mesa 115.

18. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Markbass LMII on top of (2) Eden 410XLT's. it's a good match.

Phaidrus, ThePez and REV like this.
  19. Bassiclees

Bassiclees Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2020
    MarkBass LMIII sits on my Ampeg 810. Zero complaints.

20. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    Genzler MG800 on top of a SWR Goliath Sr 6x10. Love it!

CGramazio and DogsNbeer like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021