1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

anybody using the phil jones super flightcase or flightcase for DB..or the Ultimate Briefcase

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bert harris, Apr 29, 2018.

1. bert harris

bert harris

Mar 26, 2007
    i have the Phil Jones briefcase but wondering how the newer one is for DB, its called the ultimate briefcase...also any users have a superflightcase vs, the flightcase in use for DB..dissatisfied with mark bass for DB

2. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I don’t gig anymore. But I own a superflightcase and IMHO it is awesome - especially for its size - on both UB and EUB (CRM5). YMMV. Get the red one :)

Pbassmanca and bert harris like this.
  3. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    I use a Super Flightcase mostly for DB and I love it. I have a couple of minor gripes which I wrote up over in the reviews forum but the pros vastly outweigh the cons for me. Though I have not gigged the Flightcase I was able to A/B the two in the store where I purchased my SFC.

The tradeoff with the amazing fidelity and compactness of these amps is that they are not very loud. I use my SFC for even tiny <50 person gigs and it is always as quiet as I need it to be while projecting a very even sound. That said, the SFC has just enough kick to handle the more moderate loud URB gigs that I do, and based on my comparison of the two amps in store I don't think the Flightcase would have been loud enough for my needs.

Thankfully PJB makes 2x5 and 6x5 powered extension speakers that can be paired up with either of these amps, so if you fall in love with one and find yourself needing more juice you can go that route as well.

@Chris Fitzgerald do you own both of the PJB Flightcase models or am I just making that up? :)

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I own both the Super Flightcase and Flightcase combos. I love them and use the SFC on most gigs. I wrote a review on both amps for Bass Gear magazine years ago that can be found here. I stand by pretty much everything in it today. For me it's the perfect amp except for the absence of a high pass filter, which is easy enough to add cheaply. The up firing drivers on top of both combos are pure genius and I've been very happy ever since I started playing them.

5. Jmilitsc

Jmilitsc Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Fairfield County, CT
    I switched from markbass to Phil Jones about a yr and a half ago, also dissatisfied with the sound I was getting on DB. But I also switched because I doubled on electric bass and was looking for two channel options. While I loved the sound of the Flightcase and it’s upfiring speakers, I instead went with the suitcase compact and c4 extension. Have yet to be disappointed, works and sounds great in all situations I’ve had so far.

Don’t think you can go wrong with the flightcase.

Pbassmanca and bert harris like this.
  6. I had a Flightcase but sold it. Wasn't loud enough for the big Band gigs I was doing then.

It was the Red tolex/beige cloth version, and looked awesome.

7. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    I've used a briefcase and liked the sound, but not the volume. I understand the newer models now feature the radiator which I think is a big reason the double four substantially outperforms the Cub. Anyone have experience with this?

8. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    SFC is ported to the front, 4 drivers to the front, and 2 facing up. While those 2 upward firing drivers help mostly for monitoring, I think some of the audience gets some of that sound too? ( Bass bounces!). And FOH should handle the rest in most bigger venues.

Not quite the same oomph as my 2xNV115 stack, but not bad either!

And definitely get the Red Tolex version. The wife won’t even care if it’s in the front room :)

bert harris likes this.
  9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I would love to hear a double 4 one of these days. Everybody seems to think they’re great.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. I had the FC and powered extension. 450watts and 10 5" drivers. Great tone but was not loud enough. The caveat is I double, and I play in five very different bands. It was fine for jazz gigs, but not enough "grunt" for a lot of other stuff.

11. Rod Sroufe

Rod Sroufe

Jan 31, 2015
    Van Wert, OH
    None
    I have a double four and love it. Used it in a jazz quintet that included drums at my church. The little amp held its own with really good sound for double bass. Great for smaller gigs!

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  12. Fat bob

Fat bob Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Denver
    I also switched from markbass to the Phil Jones (super flight case) just under a year ago. Much more natural sound for double bass. I have taken the advice from Chris Fitzgerald and use a hpf in the effects loop to get the most out of this amp- as it can still get boomy without it. For louder doubling gigs I will bring out the markbass- the pjb lacks the umph for electric, but for upright it has been the most natural sounding amp I've played through.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.