1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else dissapointed with their Ampeg cab cover?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JackTheRipper, May 22, 2012.

1. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Shortly after I got the Heritage 810 cab, I got the Ampeg cover for it. It's nice and thick and looks great, but my gripe is that it doesn't fully cover the bottom of the cab and it doesn't stay on the cab very well during transport. It's fine when I load the cab into my car, but the cover has a tendency to come off when I unload and the cab tends to slide out of the cover while driving.

I've been thinking of a way to mod the cover to prevent this. One idea was to find a piece of fabric (or perhaps some rip-stop nylon from an old suitcase/garment bag) and make a cover for the bottom and somehow secure the new piece to the cover (velcro?). The other idea is to simply make a strap to keep the cover in place leaving the bottom of the cab exposed.

Has anyone done this type of mod or have any other suggestions? Pics would be cool. Thanks,

--jack

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tuki does that on their covers. They sew a strap on one side and the other side attaches with velcro. Ampeg does that to keep the cover from dragging on the ground during transport, but that would be a good idea to add that strap to it.

3. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I had a custom cover made for my SVT-215LGS (same shape as an 810) and it has a flap that is connected to the bottom back side, and comes under the cab and secures with snaps to the lower front part of the cover. My band mates always call the cover "The Diaper" lol

4. When I first got my Heritage 810, I purchased a cover from D2F covers and it worked fairly well. Unfortunately, hitting the road with the rig made me realize that it was time to put the head and cab in road cases.

Paid too damn much money for the rig to NOT take care of it.

Granted, the road case option is (literally) a PITA and adds to the weight - but since we ALL load in and out, it's no biggie....

5. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I also bought two genuine Ampeg covers when I purchased my SVT-410HLFs. I fully agree with the OP - the covers are too short and they tend to slide even further up the sides when you handle the cab, IME. That leaves the lowest tolexed part open to damage or tearing.
    I always handle my own gear and I make sure I do not damage the boxes but everyone would benefit from a better design or some kind of strap at the bottom to keep the cover sitting all the way down the cab.

And I miss a genuine Ampeg cover for the (discontinued) SVT-210HE... :meh:

6. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    LeCover also offers the bottom strap option on their covers.

Dan

7. JackTheRipper

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I going to look for some material to make a diaper for the bottom and probably attach it with velcro. The snaps sound good, but the velcro seems easier and just as effective. If I can't find any material, I'll just make a strap to keep the cover on.

--jack

8. Dingo 8 my bass

Dingo 8 my bass

Feb 2, 2012
    I just got a Tuki cover from ebay for my SVT 810-e. Seems to cover the cab well, but I will know more about it's function after this weekend's gig.

9. JackTheRipper

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Before I bought the Ampeg cover, I assumed that it completely cover the cab. I assumed the Tuki cover did too. When I got it and found that it didn't, I almost sent it back. In hindsight I probably should have. But I'm not going to buy the Tuki now, so I'll make do...

--jack