1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else have this problem?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by birminghambass, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Yep

115 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. Nope

55 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. Depends on the type of gig

25 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Great gig last night. 3 sets of rock cover tunes (including Red Barchetta!). Place was packed. Lots of ladies, lots of dancing, lots of fun. End at 1am, at my house at 2am. Shower, go to bed. Cannot sleep. Finally drift off about 5am, back awake at 6. Fall back asleep only to be up for good at 9. 4 hours of sleep. Feel like I've been hit by a truck today.
    It sucks, but what sucks more is that it's been like this for about 6 months now. I literally can't sleep more than a few hours after a gig. Some gigs I don't sleep at all after. It's to the point where I'm considering quitting the band. Any thoughts? Is this common? I'm at my wits end here. FWIW all of our gigs are the 4 hour bar-band type.

The Rage, eriky4003, Ekulati and 3 others like this.
  2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Do you drink extra caffeine or alcohol? Do you log on to your computer when you get home? All of of these interfere with sleep. Beyond that, engaging your brain late at night makes it hard to shut down and getting out of your regular sleep pattern can also cause problems.

The temperature of your shower can have an impact as well. Should You Shower Before Bed for Better Sleep? Yes, Here’s Why | Tuck Sleep

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Keep safe my TB brethren!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    So it's only after gigs you can't maintain your sleep?

What's different (other the actually playing)?

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  4. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Staying up until 2am at a smoke filled bar.

cchorney, Nevada Pete and Wasnex like this.
  5. Gustopher

Gustopher

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    I’m similar, I just can’t unwind from it as easily. I try to shower and eat something and that always helps but it still takes me a while to fall asleep. I don’t have trouble staying asleep though. Once I am out, I’m out.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Keep safe my TB brethren!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Nevada Pete and alaskaleftybass like this.
  7. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Oh I'm sure it's a combination of smoke, alcohol, late night physical activity. I'm mostly curious if others have my same issue, not why I have it.

Ekulati likes this.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I always need to wind down after a gig. I can't just come home and hit the sack.

9. I call it “gig pumped”—it’s that extra shot of adrenaline or endorphins coursing through your brain after a night of being “on,” performing in front of people. I even get it, to a lesser degree, after a really good rehearsal, sometimes. When it happens, I don’t get sleepy till a couple hours after I get home.

10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    You're not alone.

I didn't use to have this sort of problem, but things can change as you get older. Rather than quitting the gig, I suggest seeing if you can eliminate or reduce the unique gig associated behaviors that contribute to the problem.

I get that having a few drinks is nice, but maybe it's better to stick with water. I used to love drinking coffee and having a few drinks when I was up partying. The alcohol made me more open to social interaction, and the coffee helped me stay awake and engaged.

At this point I limit myself to weak coffee once a week; I'll be up late tonight ;). Alcohol has been totally off the menu for almost a decade, and I suspect I'll totally give up coffee as soon as the next bag is gone. It doesn't take much of either to make me feel like death the next day (or two).

Regardless of whether you resolve the problem, your probably still going to feel a bit trashed the next day, but maybe you can make it manageable.

seedokebass and birminghambass like this.
  11. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    I have had the same problem for years. I always wake up at the same time no matter how much sleep I have had. Then my brain reminds me of what I need to do.

Plectrum72 likes this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I flip back and forth between two extremes. After a gig I’m either completely wired or crashing semi-hard. No in between. Also no rhyme or reason for which. I don’t usually drink before. during, or after a gig. So it’s not alcohol related. I usually have a light meal in me beforehand. And I do stay hydrated. So that’s not it either. Possibly has something to do with blood pressure medication. But whatever. About all I can say is I’m either up or down big time after I play. I gave up trying to figure out the why of it ages ago.

Old Blastard and Wasnex like this.
  13. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    high pass filter

14. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Takes me a couple hours to wind down after I get home from a gig.

Hurricane Jimmie, BassinCT and DWBass like this.
  15. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    My doc wrote me Vistaril to help my sleep. I love it. You might try taking an antihistamine (Benadryl) as soon as you get home. That and a nice cup of chamomile tea, some melatonin, and you'll be set.

chuck1073 and HolmeBass like this.
  16. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    It happens to me... If I gig...I'm unable to fall asleep.

Lux likes this.
  17. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Work hard and play hard! Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax Florida
    Is this a big change from your regular routine?
    How late do you usually stay up?
    Are you overly tired?
    These might be factors. I am not a night owl whatsoever and even staying up until 11 pm is difficult for me
    When I have to work all night long or late into the night it really throws me off and I can't sleep.

Lux and birminghambass like this.
  18. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Asheville NC
    Ambien

Rolling Thunder likes this.
  19. Wow, you can smoke in bars? I didn't realize that was still a thing. You do live in Alabama, so there is that...

20. A little "jazz cabbage" can also be very effective. Again....Alabama.