1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone else play a Kinal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rontalsaurus, Apr 23, 2006.

1. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
  2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    great looking bass!!
    I once contacted Mike for a bass. Great guy, great service. I never played one though.

3. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    How come you decided against it?

4. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    mmm...

Cocobolo top

nice!

5. Does that bass have two different bart pickups? One appears to be wider than the other.

6. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    f1257e92.

DK5Bkinal.

7. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I've only played one, but it was a pleasure to play though. No where near as pricy as I'd expected either!

8. We almost have twins!

I'm really impressed with this bass. I just picked it up last week, and it plays and sounds unbelievably good. Overall, it's one of the best basses that I've played in some time, and I certainly would not hesitate to get another one with different specs if it were to come around.

Attached Files:

9. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah, they're slightly different. To be honest, I don't remember which is what. :(
    The preamp is an 18v Bart w/
    -bass/mid/treble boost-cut
    -blend
    -volume w/ pull to passive
    -3way coil tap for the bridge pup
    -3 frequency mid-select (250Hz, 500Hz, 800Hz)
    -All controls bypass switch (removes the preamp and sound shaping elements). To be honest, this bypass switch, there is a definite difference between it and passive, but I'm not sure what the switch actually does. Either way, it gives a very clean, even tone that sounds great when chording. Anyone know what it actually does?

10. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    that's a beautiful piece of cocobolo. However, contrary to popular belief, mine is NOT cocobolo. It's a funky figured Goncalo-Alves. I was originally going to go for a figured walnut or claro walnut. But, when talking with Mike he suggested I take a look at some of the Goncalo-Alves boards he had. After a few emails and pictures, I went with the above. Pretty unique piece of wood.
    The body is alder. Yours looks to be ash, right?

11. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Kinals are usually in the $1500-$2500 price range, right?

12. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Nice. the body looks a bit different than mine. The rear of the body on yours looks a bit less wide.

13. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Yup. A great price for the quality of instrument.

14. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I played a fretless cocobolo J/MM at The Guitar Factory in Rochester, and I was stunned. It was freaking awesome.

15. The body wood on my bass is actually Black Limba. It's the first bass that I've owned with the Black Limba body, and I'm really impressed. Overall i's pretty balanced tonally, but it does seem to have a nice midrange character to it. It's such a great bass...I can't believe that these haven't caught on more.

16. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Black Limba, huh? Never heard of it. Cool!
    I'm surprised he hasn't caught on more as well. He builds incredible stuff and at a great price. The necks he carves are incredible. Easily the best feeling neck I've every played.

He's a busy guy, though. I wonder if he'd prefer to keep the operation somewhat less known so he can still do it all himself by hand. When I bought mine the wait was about 8 months, maybe longer. He's a school teacher full-time, so maybe he's got other fish to fry than to get bigger...or maybe he'd rather be a luthier full-time? Who knows. Either way, fantastic instruments. Someday I'll hopefully have a DK5 as well. One of the coolest looking fretless' I've ever seen.

17. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    LOVE the looks of Kinals! I'd sure like to have a nice 6 with J pickups one day.

18. Black Limba is also known as Korina which has both Black and White varieties. Tonally, I'd say that it's similar to Mahogany or even Spanish Cedar but with a bit more bite.

I wasn't aware that Mike was a full-time teacher. That's even more reason for me to support him. I can't believe he's able to do this all in his spare time. I would assume then that he'd just prefer to keep his production low so that it's manageable.

Either way, I can forsee myself getting another one down the road.

19. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Ahh...Korina. Heard of that. I'd actually very much like to try a bass made of it. How does it compare to Alder?

20. It's hard to say totally how it stacks up with an Alder Kinal, but in general, I'd say the Black Limba has a bit more life to it than the Alder basses that I've owned (and I've owned a lot). I'd say it has the full mids of Alder but with a bit more bite on the highs. It's very good body wood, and one that I'd very much recommend.